66

-• r in his name stands for rescue •-

I don't even get the chance to show my panic, because the poor driver is doing enough for the two of us. He's going to crash the car into something at this rate.

"Will you please focus on the road!?" I screech as we almost hit the bumper of a car in front of us, missing it by a mere graze. Whew, that was a close call.

He begins to sob. "It's only a week I started this job. I can't die so soon! I've a family!" He slams his foot down on the brake. As though that'll make it work. I rake a hand through my hair, regretting getting out of Agastya's car. I should have just went home.

What would I even get by playing cop? What was I trying to achieve?

Quickly putting on a seatbelt, I search through the backpack for my phone. I remember keeping it in the front zipper along with the cash Agastya gave me. "Found it!" My hand grips the back of the driver's seat as the cab swerves sharply, almost throwing me to the other side. I unlock the device with shaky hands, my eyes blurring due to fresh tears.

No, I can't cry.

I've to keep my head straight.

This time I've no one to rely on unlike before.

Fear knows how to paralyse a perfectly capable body. My thoughts, along with my actions, are scattered like a mess, scooped up with trembling hands that belong to me. I feel my heart climb my throat, and I forcefully swallow, my mouth completely dry. The car hits the air like it's a solid barrier, causing no physical damage, but pushing us closer in the face of death.

Finally, I find Yuvraaj's number. As I go to press the call button, my screen switches, displaying an incoming call. I feel a rush of relief pass through my body reading the name.

"Rudra! Rudra, I'm in this cab-"

"I know. I know. Calm down." He tells me, and for some reason, his serene voice puts me in a state of stability. "I'm here. Nothing is happening to you."

I nod.

"Now listen to me carefully, in less than five minutes, take a left and you'lll pass a flyover. Ask your driver to bring the speed in control as much as he can, I'll take care of the rest."

I nod hurriedly.

"I need to hear you, Taranya. Tell me you understand."

"I- I do." I whisper.

"Good, Princess. Keep me on the line and relay my message to the driver." He states.

"Driver, in less than five minutes take a left, we're passing a flyover. I need you to control the speed as much as you can."

"Why? Is a Superhero coming to save us!?"

"Shut up and do as I say if you don't want both of us to die!" I screech. We're ought to take all the chances we can to survive. I can't believe his fear still has a room for temper.

"Okay, fine, don't scream!" He growls and grips the steering wheel tightly, solely focusing on the road this time. I can see the hope in his eyes revive despite the lack of confidence.

"Rudra," I pant softly into the phone. It's strange how terror can control your body functions just as expertly as a five minute run can. This is how I felt when I went on a jog with Agastya for the first time. My limbs felt tired, head felt light, thoughts were mushy, and a buzzing sound kept ringing in my ears constantly, depriving me of the strength.

"Take a deep breath for me, Princess. What did I say to you?" He is weirdly calm.

"What?" I breathe out.