36

-• almost caught •-

I grip the arm rest of the chair, my eyes scanning the area in panic, suspecting everyone sitting in the cafe. The group of boys two tables away enjoying their time, a couple sitting at the far east corner, a man reading his newspaper, the cafe staff, even the owner behind the counter.

Two weeks.

Two weeks since I've been struggling to put that night behind me. Two weeks since I've caught a good wink of sleep because those ebony eyes kept haunting me every time I closed my eyes.

This was supposed to be one of my happiest days. I'm on a date with the boy I like, in a place that overlooks this beautiful city that my ancestors once ruled, and until the ominous text message, I was really enjoying my time.

Atharva waves his hand in front of my face, confused since I put an abrupt end to our text communication. My phone chooses that time to vibrate with a new notification and I swallow the thick tension spiralling out of my control. I press on the power button, and my heart beats through my chest, echoes in my ears when I read the message on the lockscreen.

M: You're not answering me, sweetheart. I'm about to get mad.

I clench my jaw and my hand moves on its own accord to shut down the device. The screen goes black and stays the same. I shove the phone in my purse and get up abruptly.

Atharva follows my action, his brows pulled together in a frown.

"I need to use the washroom." I whisper.

He nods at me, the worried lines visible on his forehead. I move past him and exit the rooftop setting, blocking the way of a waitress who was on her way to serve.

"Can I know the way to bathroom?"

She gives me quick directions. I thank her and take the stairs to the ground floor. Locating the bathroom easily , I enter the stuffy place and lean against the basin. My face looks drained of any color and there's sweat coating the skin above my lips and forehead. Opening the tap, I lean in to cup the water in my palms before I splash it on my face.

I stand straight and reach out to grab tissues from dispenser.

A cubicle opens as I'm wiping my face and a young woman walks out. She smiles at me through the reflection as she washes her hands. I smile back out of politeness, holding onto my composure until she leaves the bathroom.

Alright, time to give myself some pep talk.

Facing my reflection once again, I take a few deep breaths. "There's nothing to be afraid of. He's just playing with you. The guy loves dark, there's no way he would get out in the broad daylight only to scare you. You're safe." I blow out a breath from my mouth.

I've six overprotective brothers who are prepared to bury any guy six feet underground if he so much as looks at me the wrong way. Yuvraaj said the mystery man needs his help and not the other way around. He's just playing games with me at this point because he knows I'm easily affected. Let's not give him the satisfaction of watching me become a mess when he's got nothing on me.

With that, I plaster a smile on my face and saunter out of the bathroom, climbing the stairs to the rooftop cafe. Atharva waits patiently and I feel bad for almost ruining this for us because of someone who doesn't deserve a time of my day.

"Hey," I greet as I occupy my chair. Noticing our order is already served, I shoot him a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I made you wait."

He shakes his head softly and scribbles something on the tissue, sliding it over to me.