42

-• an unexpected encounter •-

Typically, we see one full moon each month. But when the blue moon phenomena occurs, two full moons appear twice in a row. One, in the beginning of the month, and another at end of it. It's not a frequent occurrence, and happens every two to three years. Hence, the idiom goes, once in a blue moon.

It's unclear where the term blue moon came from. There's a probability it might be a mispronounciation of the disused word "belew" which means 'to betray'. Now this can be a reference to the betrayal of the usual idea of having one full moon every month or perhaps something entirely different.

But as a child, I used to think the name blue moon has something to do with the colour of it. I believed we call it blue moon because it's blue in colour. But that's not the case, we call it blue moon because it's rare. Something that you know you can expect, but have no idea when.

But I think I liked the idea of the moon actually being blue than just appearing twice in the same month. I guess, the latter has a more scientific connotation to it, which makes it boring. Fantasy and fascination are two different things, you can be fascinated by a fantasy but you can't create a fantasy of a fascination. Blue moon was my fantasy. So when I understood the reality of it, the fascination wore off.

"We'll be starting night school from tomorrow," Agastya informs me, his eyes barely glancing at me, consumed by the rubix cube in his hand, one that he has been trying to solve for the last one hour.

"Just give it to me. I'll do it for you." Ayush demands, annoyed by the constant fixing of the rubix cube.

"No, I'll do it." Agastya insists.

I sigh, not really surprised by his stubbornness. The brush in my hand gently dips in the blue water color, diluted slightly with the black, swirling and mixing before I lift it to the canvas. "Shouldn't the moon be golden?" Arush stops scribbling on his notebook.

I glance at him over my shoulder, my eyes drifting back to the painting. "Why? Does it look weird?"

"It strangely matches with the night," Ayush hums.

Hearing that, Agastya raises his head, his eyes taking in the almost finished painting. "Yeah, it does," he mutters and goes back to his rubix cube. I simper.

"Don't you guys have your own rooms?" I ask softly. I had been painting for two hours now, and the three had come in one by one.

Agastya came to demand why I left school in the middle of the game, then got distracted by the rubix cube and rest is history. Arush had come to get back his geometry assignment notebook since he has to submit it today. Upon seeing his favourite brother lounging in my room, he didn't waste time shifting his work to my desk. Ayush came to suggest me some good books. From the time I've told him reading doesn't interest me, it's like he has made it his mission to at least get me into one book of his choice. And once he caught the sight of us three 'hanging out' together, he pulled himself a chair and got an energy bar from the drawer, reading the same book he had bought for me.

"Your room has the best ventilation," Ayush murmurs.

"And the best aesthetic," Arush adds.

"And the best view," Agastya mutters. He isn't even enjoying the view.

"About the night school you were telling me?" I probe him to finish.

"Oh, yeah, tenth and twelfth grade will be starting night school from tomorrow. Did you not receive the notice?"

I glance mournfully at my phone on the nightstand. I didn't use it the whole day except to check the time. I haven't even called Janet today. We usually talk a little after I come home from school.