~The Portrait~

Kiva's POV

Where? Where can it possibly be? I have no idea how I lost it. The work kept me so occupied that I didn't even notice it was not on my wrist. How could I not pay attention? How could I be so careless? What will I tell Papa? That I lost the only thing I had of her! He would be so upset. I don't want him to be disappointed in me. I will make sure to find it. But how?

Belle :"K! You made it!", I was standing staring up at a piece of art on the wall lost in my thoughts when my best friend came from behind and hugged me. "Still thinking about the bracelet? We'll look for it together, I promise." She caressed my back to make me feel better but It was not working. Honestly, I didn't even realise my bracelet is missing until Belle noticed my empty wrist yesterday. I started searching for it in the middle of the show yesterday. I even left and went to the workshop, looking for it.

Kiva :"The thing is, I don't remember when and Where I lost it, Now I can't find it anywhere." I sighed disappointed by the whole situation, she shook her head at my stubbornness. I looked for the bracelet the whole night without sleeping, I even cried. What will happen if I couldn't find it? I got lost in thoughts and she brought me back again. 

Belle :"I promise when the exhibition ends, we'll go all the places you've been in this week and ask around. Now stop stressing yourself." she somehow convinced me not to think about it much right now and I agreed. Cause why not, it's her big day. I couldn't even help her with anything since I was busy with my work, I can make it up to her now at least by pretending to be fine tonight. But, my bracelet! I can't stop thinking about it. What if someone found it and sold it for money? What if I never found it again? She waves her hand in front of my face making me snap out of it.

Kiva :"Alright, I won't stress about it." I decided not to ruin her evening and played along. "Hey...where is the portrait?", I asked and she gave me a questionable look, asking me to be specific about which one. "My Portrait!", I discreetly whispered in her ear and she smiles, starting to drag me towards a big hall with dim lights and only one huge portrait hanging on a white wall. Mine.

I am relieved to see that my face is not visible. I am not camera conscious but this is a big event and I didn't want to ruin it for her since I didn't model for this photograph, she just randomly clicked it and it came out good. She sure is a great artist. She asked for a review and I proudly gave her a thumbs-up. She left to attend to other guests. I was still staring at the portrait, especially my wrist, I had my bracelet on. I wish I could turn back time and keep it safe. 

I look down upsetting my mood again. Suddenly, I felt like someone is standing behind me. I didn't turn around thinking it must be a guest or any other visitor. The lights suddenly got dimmer making me look up again. And that's when I felt the person right behind me. My whole body went stiff when that person moved even closer.  So close that I could even smell the musky Dior scent, It's a guy! Why is he coming closer? This is weird. I should leave, But I just couldn't find the courage to move.

?: "I believe I have something that belongs to you!"

He spoke near my ear making goosebumps burst all over my skin. My eyes widen when he pressed his hand in mine from behind as if he was giving me something, I felt a cold sensation on my palm. Is it what I am thinking it is? My bracelet! But how did he...? Did he find my bracelet when I lost it? Was he following me? Did he follow me here as well? My weird thoughts were interrupted when he let go of my hand and spoke again making me roll my fingers into a fist. His breath hit the back of my ear, if this continues I swear I'll pass out.

? :"You have been ghosting me a lot lately, Care to turn around?"

What! Ghost! Me! What is he even talking about? He seems so serious. What do I do? Belle, where are you? Why are you not coming? 'Ok, Kiva! Calm down. You just have to make it out of that door. A lot of people are out there, You'll be safe.' I mentally prepared to make a run but suddenly all the lights went off. Oh god, what now! What if he is a bad guy? I'm scared to death. Before my brain could assume every single possibility of me dying in here tonight, I abruptly turned around in the darkness to run towards the door and he held my wrist tightly before I could even try. He slightly bowed to mock me in a hoarse tone.

? :"Too slow."

I was trying so hard to make him let go but his grip was so firm. Like what do you eat? Dinosaurs?? Let go already! I could guess he had a smirk on his face and here I was too nervous to say even a single word. And then he asked something making me gulp.

 ? :"The Portrait! Is that you?

That's it! I stomped on his foot with my heel. Yanking his hand with all my strength and I ran out without looking back. I didn't stop anywhere before reaching outside to take a taxi and flee.

Phew, That was close. I reached home and ran straight upstairs to my room. 

After a few minutes when my heartbeat relaxed to normal, I texted Belle saying I came back home. I realized that I'm alone, Papa went back to Germany after the show yesterday. I started being paranoid again. What if he followed me all the way here? What if he finds me again? 

 After overthinking what happened, I reached out inside the pocket of my coat and took out the bracelet. I was happy to have it back, and sighing in relief for once, I started thinking otherwise. What if he just wanted to return the bracelet? How did he know the bracelet belongs to me? Does he know me? I should have said thank you! Maybe next time!

~

I am lying down on my bed staring at the ceiling, It's been an hour since I came back. Earlier I was only thinking about my lost bracelet but now I could only think about the guy who found it and brought it back to me. Why am I still thinking about all of it? The only thing that matters, is that I got my bracelet back. I wear it on my wrist and smile in contempt looking at it. My phone vibrated, I saw Belle's name on the screen and immediately answered it, to tell her that I found the bracelet. Before that, I hear her screaming in excitement from the other side.

Kiva:"Calm down Belle or you will destroy my eardrums." I asked her to stop screaming and she starts to catch her breath to talk. "Now tell me what's happened? Did the exhibition go well?" I asked even when I knew the reason for her happiness.

Belle :"The exhibition was a success K, This is the best day of my life." She exhales loudly expressing her excitement. "You know the director was so impressed that he already signed me for another event in Amsterdam next month." 

I'm so happy for her. Both of our shows were successful and I found my bracelet too. I'm glad everything is settled for good. But then she said something making me sit up with my eyes open wide, something I wasn't ready for.

"And you know what's crazy! Your Portrait was sold out at the highest bidding price to an unidentified stranger."

~

Behind you!