The full moon

"DIDI....DIDI...." Gauri hugged Ann. "So how do I look?" Gauri looked beautiful in her off white cotton saree, that had gold flowers embroidered by hand. The sky blue, blouse had Edwardian lapels and adorned with bead work. She had a fine pearl necklace belonging to Ma adorning her slender neckline. Her petite fair face was accentuated by slight make up, and red lipstick. She was wearing long dangling earrings. Her hair was tide back in a stylish bun, making it look like, she had shorter hair from the front. Despite all of this, Ann thought her sisters smile was what made her look like royalty today.

 Despite all of this, Ann thought her sisters smile was what made her look like royalty today

"Oh my darling Chutki...You look so beautiful! You look exactly like a princes!" She squealed feeling so proud and danced around her holding her shoulders.

" Oh my god Gauri...I just warded you off evil eye! I told you not to see her! Not before we are heading out to meet your future husband!" Avantika Ma shouted at her. "Ma Didi will give me her blessings! She's my lucky charm!" Gauri ignored her mother and kissed Ann on her cheek.

"It's okay Gauri ,Ma must be just nervous! You know she vents out this way! I am used to it...You know I love you always! Look what you did...Ohhh I have lipstick on my face now! Ewww" Ann started wiping the stain off, hiding her face. Gauri knew, she secretly wiped off her tears as well .She gave her sister a big hug again.

"Didi...I wish if you are with me! I am really really nervous! I heard that he's so educated, and he came back from Cambridge. What if he asks me questions? What if he asks me about books? I haven't read a single English Novel!" Gauri worried. "Hey look at me! You are smart...beautiful...and you are the perfect wife! IF he can't see that he doesn't deserve you! And if he asks about books...You tell him the truth, that you love reading local literature...like...like...Ravindranath Tagore's Gitanjali!" Ann reassured her.

"Actually Didi my friend Kusum gave me some poetry written by a new poet...He's writing under a pseudonym so no one knows who he is. He's amazing! But he writes a lot about..." She hesitated. Ann knew what her younger sister was referring to. Nationalism amongst the young Indian elite was growing. What she didn't understand was every time someone speaks about it, around her, they hesitated, as if she was some spy for the British crown. In her heart and soul she was an Indian, yet she was treated like some kind of a traitor.

"Errr....Gauri I think Ma is waiting! You should go! By the way you look so beautiful! Don't be nervous! He'll be an idiot if he doesn't like you! I love you! Good luck!" Ann hurried her little sister, before Ma's wrath fell upon her. She waved goodbye to Gauri and went to check up on her father, who was having one of his bad days.

Anns father, Harshwardhan Trivedi's mind was deteriorating from early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Once he was a notable official who worked at the British High commission. He had studied in Cambridge, when he met her mother Elizebeth, whom he dearly called Lizzy. When they returned to India, as expected, his family didn't accept her. As the sole heir of the Trivedi family, he was expected to marry a Khandani Bahu. All hell must have broken lose, when he turned up with a middle class, white, woman, who had no idea about the traditions, or culture.