This-Us..

As the sun rose, Shivaay walked into the barn to feed Chestnut. He was startled to see Ann, muttering something softly in her sleep caressing the young mare.

Let me take all your pain...and make it mine! She continued to sing.

His heart stopped and the bucket of barley in his hand fell on the ground with a thud listening to the melancholic rhyme he used to whisper in ear when she was nothing but a breathing shell.

"Shivaay..." She sprung to her feet and ran into his arms digging her face in his chest.

"Ann...? Are you? Are you okay? Why are you sleeping in here? Why are you crying? And...how did you?"

He cupped her face in his hands and wiped her tears away.

"Chestnut...She...She lost her baby..." Her lips trembled as she spoke.

"That song you were humming...You...You still remember?"

"You sang it to me? Didn't you? It was you...I...I remember how lighter I felt every time you did...I remember that feeling...It felt like a life line!"

Surprised, Shivaay took a step back. He walked up to chestnut who was recovering, and stroked her mane in a brushing motion. His eyes sparkling with a soft emotion, he turned back to Ann.

"So you...You really felt better? I...I never knew because you didn't say a word at the time... You..You don't know how relived I feel knowing that I did give you comfort at a time our world was just ending! I feel relieved knowing that you felt a little lighter around me...I thought I was doing everything wrong.."

A look of relief and a bright smile took over his worn out face. A smile that resonated joy.

"I wish I was strong enough back then to tell you that myself...I guess I wasn't?"

"You were numb at that time...I couldn't get any reaction from you...I felt like an absolute failure...I felt sick knowing I couldn't help you..."

"I left you alone didn't I? I gave you so much to carry on your own and I was weak wasn't I?" She sighed, looking disappointed at her self.

"What are you saying? You...You lost your baby after a day of giving birth to him...You carried him in you for nine months...You...You weren't suppose to be strong...I was suppose to keep you both safe...You both were my responsibility!"

"We lost OUR baby...YOU weren't suppose to be strong either..."

She closed up their distance and held on to his hands. He sighed and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"But I had to...I thought I will loose you if I didn't...But I guess I ended up loosing you anyway..." he confessed.

"Will you forgive me?"

Her olive brown eyes, sought redemption in his.

"For?"

"For not being there for you when you needed me the most?"

"Ann...I never blamed you! All I ever wanted was to keep you safe...Never to let you feel what I felt.."

"So you think it's fair that you carry all the weight in your heart and soul...Even my share of it?"

"I don't know what's fair...All I know is...I'll do it all over again if I have to...but I just don't know if I have the courage I once had to go through it all over again...I...I am terrified Ann...because I couldn't feel the difference of night nor day! I couldn't cry, because I had to be strong...I couldn't hate you for leaving though I tried many times...Perhaps, because I knew somewhere down the line I couldn't keep my promise to you...to keep you safe...I couldn't help but think that I was the cause of your pain...I hated my every living moment for that!"