A Deep end

"Daadi I am back! Daadi....Daadi?" Shivaay ran in to the mansion like a five year old who received a trophy in class. "Putter you are back? OH we missed you!" Daadi hugged her favourite grandson. "Daadi is everything okay? You look worried!" He placed a kiss on her cheek and his grandmother pat his face. "Where is Ann?" She asked. "Ah...She wanted to stop by work..." Daadi looked  at the doorway concerned.

"Bhaiya....you are here....finally! We missed you...where is Didi?" Gauri ran over to greet him. "She'll be here in the evening Gauri..She had to collect some  assignments, So she stopped by the commision!" Shivaay reassured her. "Ah...so did you find Daadi's idol?" Omkara gave Shivaay a big hug. "As a matter of fact we did. Daadi...you don't know what we went through to get this for you!" Shivaay unwrapped the palm sized golden Krishna statue, and placed it on the mandir. Daadi, Gauri, and Om looked at each other in awe. "Oh putter...thank you!" Daadi said nervously. Shivaay hugged his grandmother.

"Ah I wish if Ann, Bhabi came along with you too Bhaiya" Rudra joined in welcoming him.

"Hmmn me too...." He blurted out and the others chuckled. "I meant...Since all of you seem to miss Ann more than me...Ah I am so tired...I'll see you in the evening!" He hurried off before his family started to manifest more ideas in his head about Ann.
—————————————————————

TRIIIING! The telephone in the study room rang, and Shivaay answered. It was a long distance call from England. The operator asked him to wait until he was connected. "Hello!" A gruff voice greeted him on the other side. He pulled out a chair and sat down. This was an unexpected call, but he knew this was going to be a wake up call for him.

"You have diverted from your mission Oberoi! I had so much more faith in you! Perhaps I was wrong..." The voice sounded disappointed.

"What makes you think that? I have found my way to the council have I not? I am presenting the reforms this weekend!"

"And you think they will take it? What makes you think they will do the bidding of a young, inexperienced, Indian councilman? The steam from the parade has died down...You need to do better Oberoi..."

"What do you mean? You want me to create more chaos? Look...After the parade so many of our own suffered. More than the ones intended. It didn't create anything politically substantial..." Shivaay hesitated recalling how Ann's life was in imminent danger,thanks to his scheming.

"So you are doubting our methods now too? I thought you knew what you were signing up for when you did...you sound nothing but distracted!"

"Distracted? Care to elaborate?" Shivaay clenched his fists, annoyed at the accusations. He wasn't distracted. Or was he?

"I don't need to explain, I sense it in my best students voice...you are becoming complacent...never let that happen. Emotions have no place in this game...Don't let emotions ruin what you worked so hard for...."

Shivaay sighed, "I don't think we need to hurt anyone to achieve what we want..."

"Do you want to try your way and fail...or my way and win? I didn't pin you for one who likes to loose!"

"I am NOT....and I will prove it...fine...I will get Daksh and his nationalistic morons to act up if that's what you want..."

"No Oberoi...think bigger...bigger than Daksh! Mehra is a bigger pawn...don't let him slip out of your hand...Once you become the son in law of Mehra industries, you will have enough power and influence you need. Come up with a plan, before your speech. You will need it...Don't let me regret choosing you!" The gruff voice coughed.