Friends or Foes

At the abandoned mill...

"Ah finally we see you Oberoi Saab, Where were you all this time? I thought you forgot what you started already?" Daksh gave him a probing glare. "I was pre-occupied...It's non of your business. Tell me did you get it ready? Is it worth the wait? Because in a month...it's all going to pay off!" He said with a glint in his eyes that screamed ambition. "A month? Why don't we do a little test run before hand? I hear the half-caste witch is still teaching English in the backyard of that church to our children. Might send a message to them all before hand?" Daksh proposed. Shivaay found a rage rising within him, knowing who he was talking about. He clenched his fists, but held his composure. "Daksh...DO NOT DEVIATE! What we are doing is much bigger! And Leave Ann out of this!" He said. "Ann? First name basis? When did you become friends Oberoi Saab? She's a pretty thing I give you that! But didn't know she was good in black magic too? She most definitely has done some on our kids...One of them still follows her around even after getting his leg broken...Can you imagine? Has she caste some spell on you too? Wooooooohaaa" Daksh pretended to be conjuring up a magical potion and laughed manically irritating Shivaay.

For the first time Shivaay was getting a glimpse of what a dangerous man he was dealing with. One that lacked in morals, so he was the one behind Saahils attack!

"Daksh...Whether you like it or not she's family! She's the only sister of my sister- in- law. If you hurt her, you are hurting Oberoi's. Now I am sure, you don't want your biggest financier, to back out because of your lack of duty of care?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Fine...Oberoi Saab, I was just suggesting because my boys needed some moral uplift! And this teacher of yours...I never meant any harm to her, just wanted to send a message...No school...No English...Get it? I thought you could care less...but looks like I was wrong!" Daksh started to tap on his wooden desk, suspiciously. Shivaay dug his nails in to his palms. He didn't know why Daksh's words were aggravating him so suddenly. Daksh's intentions of hurting Ann's school, scared him. He knew how much the school meant for her. After Mr.Trivedi's passing, this is the only thing that kept her going. He decided, that he was going to check up on her every evening. Daksh wouldn't dare do anything if he was seen around more.

"Daksh...my friend...focus on what's important...What will we gain by destroying some school for street rats? Who is going to care? What's the impact? Nothing...just waste of resources! I'll be back in a week...I hope you will make progress by then...as in for your experiment..make sure it's not done in public!" He threw a bundle of money at him and re-negotiated. Daksh picked it up with a devious glare.
                                ———————————————————————

Since Papa left, Ann felt abandoned. Now she was truly and orphan. Instead of one, she lit up two candles at the church. She was going to start the new job at the high commission,that ought to keep her occupied. Daadi and the Oberoi family had been so welcoming to her. Gauri was so worried about her, she pleaded Ann to sleep over at the Oberoi mansion most nights. She found herself, wondering into the Oberoi's study, and drowning herself in books, when she struggled to sleep. She took one step at a time, overcoming her grief. Shivaay Singh Oberoi, was proving to be a good friend. Though he didn't say it out loud, she knew he made sure, that Nanda made the breakfast she likes, the nights she stayed over. He made sure that she reached home safe, the nights she taught the kids. Sometimes, when she stayed up, unable to sleep, she felt him checking up on her, standing by the doorway. Though they spoke less, mainly because she was drowning in her own grief, she knew he was there when she needed him. She felt safe, knowing that. When he was around, She didn't feel alone.

She found solace in teaching her night school kids, that was when she was the happiest. Every other evening, she sneaked out, with books filled in her satchel, and every time, Shivaay and Night was there to walk her back home. It had become an unspoken ritual of theirs.