Secrets Better Kept

August 15, 2022

I freeze, eyes locked on the sight before me. Everyone in the room seems to go still, before I inevitably burst out laughing. Daisy blinks in distress, and Jace looks utterly confused at the situation and slightly concerned for me.

"Zoe, dear. What on earth are you doing with my girlfriend?" I say, wiping a tear from my eye.

Zoe had been sprawled on the ground, with tiny little Daisy straddling her with her hands over Zoe's mouth in a way that tells me she was trying to silence her. Which only makes me wonder more about what the hell went on in here only moments earlier.

"I know the truth!" Zoe half shouts, half gasps, as she tears her mouth free from under Daisy's tiny hands.

My brow furrows for a moment, but the sound of something clanging in a backroom makes my eyes widen. oh! That truth! Now it makes sense why Daisy would try to shut her up.

Quickly, I turn to Jace and shove him out the door, "I forgot I owe Daisy something, could you run down to the car and grab my wallet? Thanks!"

With that, I shut the door in the face of a very much confused Jace, ignoring his protests and locking the door. Letting out a big sigh, I turn towards Zoe and raise my hands as if I'm calming a wild animal.

"Okay, Zo? I know this is going to sound really weird, and I know what you're thinking, but just listen okay?" I say gently.

Daisy finally gets off of Zoe and takes a seat on the couch, looking tired and slightly awkward. "Oh I'll tell you what I'm thinking! Your hunny bunny here is a two timing skink!"

I try to smile, but it comes out forced as I shake my head, "No, she's not."

Zoe ignores that though and nods profusely, "Yes she is! Look, Charlie called me all worried about you, so I came to check up on ya, but by the time I showed up Charlie said you never came home from work. So! I went to your workplace and you weren't there either, but one of your co-workers gave me Seth's address, so I went and hounded him down and he then told me that you also weren't there and that you ran out. He gave me Daisy's address, assuming that since you were upset, you might have stopped here. What do I find upon walking in the unlocked door?"

She turns to Daisy for a second, "When trying to conceal an affair, at least lock the door. Sheesh! Anyway! I walk in and see her making out with some chick! Like, bam! Mind blown! So I freaked out and then your lovely girlfriend went like Jackie Chan on my ass and that's about when you walked in."

I chuckled awkwardly and rubbed at my jaw in frustration, "Is that Sam back there, Daisy?"

She blushes and nods, "I know I should have told you. But, when you went out last week, and then stopped returning my calls, I figured that was answer enough."

Zoe looks between us utterly confused, "Wait... what!? Back it up. Kaily, you best explain what's going on here, and explain it well, because someone is getting some Zoe fury."

I really wish it hadn't come to this. I'd always hoped to keep this a secret, because in all honesty, it's pathetic and shameful. It just happens to be what worked for Daisy and I.

"Alright! Sit, and I'll explain, but this doesn't leave this room, got it?" Zoe nods and plops down on the couch opposite Daisy as I sit next to my girlfriend. "Okay... Daisy and I don't exactly have the most conventional relationship."

"Yeah, I got that much so far," Zoe deadpans.

I roll my eyes and continue on, "Anyway, I guess I should start from the beginning. I didn't date in the slightest after I lost Jace. I just couldn't. It felt wrong to let myself feel for anyone, it repulsed me to imagine anyone else touching me or loving me. It just wasn't something I was capable of doing, and trust me I tried. I tried so hard, for years, and it just wasn't happening for me."