The First of Many

September 30, 2022

It's been four days and Jace is still acting strange and my patience are thinning. The night he walked out he didn't come back for a good two and a half hours, and despite saying he forgot something at Grams', he returned empty handed. Since then, he's made it a habit to avoid the subject at all costs, and is always rushing out for the most random reasons or errands and disappearing for hours at a time. I have no idea what's gotten in to him, but I'm starting to get annoyed with all the secrecy.

I tried asking Charlie, and he just said that Jace is always up to odd things, and that I should know better than to worry so much. After that, I haven't been able to get a hold of him either. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd say everyone was avoiding me. The question circling my mind, is why?

Calling Leah for only the millionth time, after trying Seth's cell, I hang up in frustration before tossing my cell phone onto the dining room table. "What the hell!"

Furrowing my brow, I huff in annoyance as I return to the bedroom, rummaging through my things and finishing unpacking, still moping and wondering where my boyfriend is. Honestly, so far he's at least taken the time to let me know he's heading out, but today I was left to sleep in until noon, only to wake up and see that He'd already taken off. It's really starting to get under my skin and, well quite honestly, I'm becoming sad that he doesn't trust me with whatever had bothered him and is clearly keeping him busy.

As I'm putting away the last of my things, I freeze and realize something. Running back to the side of the room I'd been tossing boxes, I start rifling through them, hoping and praying I'd just missed something or maybe there was one I forgot to unpack. I hadn't come across it even once, where the hell could it be? I couldn't lose it, I just couldn't! The very idea makes my heart ache in my chest painfully.

I'm on the verge of panicking, but don't get a chance to dwell on it for long, because a sudden knock at the door makes me jump and drop one of the empty boxes. Hurrying downstairs, I look towards the front door, but frown when I can't see anyone through the glass window. Confusion and paranoia eat at me, but I make my way down the hall and open the door anyway, just to see a simple, white envelope laying on our welcome mat with my name scrawled on the front. Glancing around, I see no one, so I carefully pick it up and tear it open.

Dear, Kai

I know you're probably confused, understandably. However, I'm going to ask you to trust me and follow the instructions on the second note. I'm going to send you on a little scavenger hunt, and if you can successfully follow all the hints and clues, there'll be a prize waiting at the end. I love you, and I'll see you soon.

Love, Jace xxx

Confused as hell, I pull out the second folded piece of paper and read it carefully, surprised by the few words scrawled across the paper.

Your hunt begins at our beginning

I scrunched up my nose at that. Where does he mean? There are so many places that he could mean, but something in my gut told me he meant the very beginning, so without wasting another moment, I hurry out the door, locking it up before taking off down the street; a single destination in mind.

When I reach that street, remembering how rainy it had been and how I'd chased after that stupid letter, only to fall into a puddle and look up into the two most beautiful eyes I would ever see. I smile as I get to the corner and see Jared standing there.

"Jared? Are you part of this--"

"I'm just here to give you this," He says with a pleasant smile, handing me another envelope.