...And Nothing Changes

August 16, 2022

The next morning I wake to the lovely surprise that is Zoe and Daisy in my flat. I can hear them chattering in the kitchen and the smell of delicious food and coffee wafts in along with their voices. I wonder at first how they got in, thinking that either I'm forgetting something or they just let themselves right on in. So, thinking back and hoping I hadn't somehow agreed to a seven AM meeting,I eventually draw a blank and realize that the former is wrong. Knowing my spontaneous girls, this was completely on the fly.

Climbing out of bed I comb my fingers through my hair and pull on a pair of sweats and make my way out into the kitchen where both girls look up at me with small smiles.

"Well, good morning, Sunshine. About time you got up," Zoe says with a cheeky grin. "Take a seat, we need to have a little chit-chat."

Knowing this was coming, I withhold a deep sigh and plop down at the island on one of the bar stools and gratefully accept a cup of coffee from Daisy, loving that she knows exactly how I needed it right now. Black. This is going to be a long morning.

"And here I thought I was just getting a pleasant breakfast with two lovely ladies," I mutter, sipping the coffee.

"Nice try," Daisy snickers, taking a seat next to Zoe across from me.

"Kai... What's going on with you lately? You disappear for a week, acting all depressed. You lose it on live radio, and then I find out your girlfriend isn't even your girlfriend. You can see why I'm extremely confused. I just want to know what's going on in that head of yours. Did something happen between you and Jace?"

I sigh and look down at the plate of food Daisy set in front of me, more or less just moving the food around, "Yeah, but it was nothing."

"If it was nothing I wouldn't be sitting her right now asking why you look like you haven't slept for days," She snaps.

I drop my fork and look up at her this time, "Fine. Yes, something happened with Jace... after I went and dealt with Seth because of what he did to Charlie, I had a break down in the car. Jace comforted me and I shouldn't have let myself cave into him so easily, but I was weak and vulnerable and I practically begged him not to go back to Jasper that night and..."

I look up at Daisy with a sad expression and wince at her confused stare, "And, he said he wouldn't if I didn't go home to you, Daisy... and I agreed, too."

I'm relieved that her expression doesn't become one of hurt or anger or even disgust with me, but rather the curiosity stays firmly planted and she nods for me to continue, so I do, "Anyway, he took me back to his parents place and the night was... amazing. It was just like when we first met. We talked and we laughed and we watched movies and we messed around and... and then it got complicated again."

My throat tightens at the memory of the overwhelming emotions that night, how badly I wanted him but no matter what I had no choice but to deny myself what I wanted most. "What happened, Kai?"

I let out a shaky sigh and look down again, slowly feeling more ashamed of myself, "We almost kissed, but it didn't actually happen. We talked about our feelings too, and I mean, I love him and he loves me and it would be so easy for us to just be together, you know? But... neither of us can do it. He has Jasper and I just... he thinks I have Daisy anyway. I don't know the whole conversation was just hard and it hurt and then when it came time for bed, we ended up sharing a bed and... when I woke up in his arms, I was so happy that it broke my heart and I knew then that I had to get out of there or else I would ruin myself. I left him a note and just left. I know it's awful, but I just couldn't face him, I don't know-"