Between The Trees [Part Two]

August 23,2022

"Uncle Kaily! Are you feeling lots better?" Little Ollie exclaims, running up to me the next morning as I enter the main cabin.

I smile warmly and scoop her up, "Much. I didn't scare you yesterday, did I?" I'd been worried she'd seen what happened, but Zaq promised he brought her inside as soon as he saw what was going on.

"Uh-uh, daddy said you have a sickness that makes you super scared, and I said 'maybe if I went and hugged him and told him he was safe, he won't be scared no more' but daddy said mommy would take care of you like she does for me when I have nightmares, so I knew you'd be A-OK!" She babbles adorably, making me grin ear to ear.

"She did exactly that!" I say, walking up and letting Zoe take her daughter. "Your mommy is the scariest thing around now. So, I think we're safe."

Zoe purses her lips at me and pokes my side as Ollie giggles, "Did you sleep well, Kaily? Daisy said you tossed a bit."

I shrug, "Well enough. Is Jace up yet?"

Charlie and Seth both come out then, sleepy eyed with bedhead. Charlie being more awake than what appears to be a half dead Seth says, "Oh, he's been up a while. Jasper was allowed to stay until morning until someone could pick him up. He and Jace had it out this morning and it didn't end on the happiest sounding terms. You might want to give him some space, he sounded pretty upset."

I sigh and flop on a couch, scrubbing my hands over my face, "This is all my fau--"

"Don't. We all know that guy is bad news. We heard Jace giving him shit for worsening your attack. You didn't do anything wrong," Leah says, coming over and cuddling into my side, a yawning Daisy already cuddled into the other.

"Look at Kai, always covered in women, ya hound," Jared jokes, setting a plate with scrambled eggs on it on the coffee table before me.

"The ladies love me," I joke half-heartedly. "I just... It's like every time he and I make progress, something comes between us and it usually has to do with me. Even if Jasper worsened the attack, it was happening anyway and it shouldn't have. It was stupid."

A thump makes us all jump and turn our heads to see a sleepy Lucy purrowing as she rubs her cheek, having bumped into a wall, "This would be a lot more fun if these walls would quit jumping out of nowhere."

Leah rolls her eyes and gets up, grabbing lucy gently-ish by the arm and hauling her towards the bathroom sighing, "Let's dab it with some cold water on it now before it swells you hazard."

"Ooh, alone time? With Leah? Yes, please!" Lucy quips cheekily.

I chuckle and bump a glaring seth with my knee and wink, "Like brother like sister, huh Sethy?"

"Don't remind me," he grumbles, grabbing a surprised Charlie by the waist and hauling him away.

"Uh, where are we going?" Charlie squeaks, trying not to spill his coffee.

"A date, our third official date," Seth says meeting my gaze. "We're going on a picnic."

Charlie sputters about lacking a shirt still and Seth insists he doesn't need it and in a matter of seconds they are out the door with a basket handed to Seth by Zoe (I bet they planned this last night those little craps).

I chat with everyone and somewhat eat my meal, but the entire time my mind is filled with thoughts of Jace. What is he doing? Is he okay? Should I check on him? Does he not want to see me? Is he mad at me? Does he blame me? Did he and Jasper break up?