Between The Trees [Part One]

August 22, 2022

Saturday morning I'm packing frantically despite the fact I really don't see much good coming from this trip. The only reason I think I even convinced myself to go is that it's Olivia's birthday and god knows I could use seeing that angel's sweet smile. She has a strange way of lifting my spirits. Zoe says she's been that way since birth. A little ray of sunshine that child is; just like her mother.

Daisy was going to drive me and Zoe this morning, but Zoe had the grand idea that the girls should all go together for the road trip. Namely her, Daisy, Leah and Seth's sister Lucy. I think in all honesty she's just excited to have three gorgeous girls to play with. My friend is a special person that's for sure.

The down side, is that I'm stuck going to pick up Jace and Jasper. Seth was going to come, but he said he and Charlie need to talk so they wanted to drive alone. I'd also have gone with Zaq, but even with the seven-seat van, he has to bring; Jared, his boyfriend, Olivia, Grams and Rhys & Kyle.

So lucky me, not being allowed to ride alone without someone to manage my food, water and vitamin intake (according to--once again--my lovely friend, Zoe) I'm stuck riding with the object of my affection and the bastard who has claim over him. Who may also be abusive and who very much so has a hate on for me.

I sigh as I grab my tooth brush and comb and chuck them into the trunk of clothing. This is going to be a long week.

"You're going to be fine. Zoe wouldn't do anything that wouldn't benefit you, would she?" Seth says through my phone as I stumble around the flat half asleep.

"No, but how can I trust that she really understands how bad this could end? Shoving everyone together? I mean--"

"You just do. She's right. It's time we all quit running from our issues and we face them, no matter how intimidating it can be," he says, sounding more like he's talking to himself than me.

I roll my eyes and attempt a light chuckle, "I'm proud of you, but god I miss cynical Seth sometimes. Who's going to relate to me on a deep emotional level now?"

Seth actually laughs at this and I can hear Charlie question him in the background, "No worries, you'll figure it out, and until then you still have Leah. She is the queen of pessimism."

I agree and chat a bit more until Seth cuts me off, "Sorry, I really got to hurry and pack or Charlie said he'll have my head and to be honest I'm not sure which one."

"Alright, but did you take care of things with B? Should I-"

He snickers and sighs happily, "The crazy bitch cornered me in her office and came onto me a few weeks back, so I told her if she doesn't give you this time off I'll tell her higher ups. Safe to say you're good to go."

I sigh at my crazy friend and thank him before hanging up and hurrying myself, having gotten distracted. It's already eight fifty and I promised Jace I'd pick him and Jasper up for nine thirty because it's a two hour ride and with a pee stop in between, that got us all to the camp just before noon. Enough time to clean it up, settle in our rooms or wherever we're sleeping and then collect wood for bonfire and wood stoves and other necessary camp chores.

**

Fourty minutes later I'm parked outside of Jace's place. When no one comes out after a while, I shoot him a text saying I'm here, but when that front door still remains shut I can't help my imagination running wild, making me get out and walk up to it.

I lift my fist to knock, but as soon as my fist meets the door, it creaks open, having not been properly shut. I go to just call for Jace, but the sound of angry voices makes me pause. I step in awkwardly and kind of just tip toe down the hall to hear better.