Love Hurts

August 19,2022

Three days later, and I find myself seated in Jace's car on the way to his parents. I of course am nervous that I'm for some reason getting him into trouble with Jasper, but he of course keep assuring me it's fine and that he'll get over it. I don't believe it for a second because he looks just as stressed as I feel.

"So, what kind of party is this anyway?" I ask, fiddling with the sleeves of my black dress shirt.

He shrugs, biting a nail as he looks out over the road, "It's hardly a party. More of a gathering where other 'richies' from the neighbourhood or business partners and colleagues come and converse and eat together. Everyone acts friendly, but in most cases, everyone is judging one another and hoping to get the latest gossip and maybe make some business deals. We're only here for looks to be honest."

"At least you don't have to worry about them trying to set you up anymore, huh?" I say with a light laugh.

Jace actually cracks up a bit and nods, "Thank god, that was a nightmare and a half. By the way, Melanie will be there."

"Oh, lovely," I chuckle. "Any homophobes at this party?"

"Oh there's sure to be a few, always is," He says with an annoyed sigh.

I smirk and nudge him, "If there are, we should screw with them. Maybe because we're such disgraces, I'm your estranged cousin and we're totally together."

I put on my best stereotypical gay voice and Jace bursts out laughing, throwing his head back and I can't help but beam at the sound, "God no! I want to annoy them, not send them into cardiac arrest!"

I laugh and and continue doing so after we pull up to his house and get out, making Martyn look at me like I've lost it, "What's gotten into you two?"

"He's apparently our cousin now," Jace snickers.

"And, also Jace's gay lover. Don't forget that," I chuckle, wiping a tear from my eye.

Martyn just opens his mouth as if to say something, but thinks better and just shakes his head at us and laughs as well, "Either I missed something major, or something is wrong with you both."

"Probably the latter to be quite honest," I say with a smirk, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and taking Jace's hand as we make our way through the house and into the Levett's rather large garden.

There are tables set about and everything is lit up rather softly and it seems everyone is dressed casually and yet formally. Damn rich people. Even in my best dress shirt and pants I feel under dressed. One glance tells me that Jace isn't the happiest in this setting either, but simply grips my hand and leads us through the garden path to his parents where they converse with a short, slightly balding man.

"Good evening, Father. You look lovely, Mum," He says, smiling kindly at her.

His mother lights up at the sight of us together and quickly scurries over between us and begins gushing to her friends before we can stop her, "Henry, this is my youngest, Jacen and his lovely boyfriend here is Kailas."

My eyes bulge and I feel everything inside me short circuit. B-B-Boyfriend!?

I quickly look to Jace and he looks equally stunned, shaking his head wordlessly at me as his mother continues, "Jacen volunteers at the Reading hospital and runs a cancer recovery therapy group and young Kailas here works as a radio personnel at BBC Radio One. You should hear him, he's intelligent and funny and I certainly tune in more often when he's on."

I blush at that and shrink back into Jace slightly, "Th-Thank you Mrs. Levett, you're too kind."

She smiles warmly at me and chats up this Henry man for another second before grabbing her husband and pulling us away to a more quiet corner. As soon as we're alone she sighs in exhaustion and gives us an apologetic look, "I'm sorry to have put you on the spot, but I simply couldn't tell them that Jace was with that ghastly Jasper man. His name isn't a popular one and when I saw you two show up together, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity."