Nine - "Are you okay?"

I sat and watched as a fire was lit for food. We all had to share, we we would take a spoonful then pass to the next person. I wasn't hungry much these days, I barely ate when I was in Dauntless as well, and Amity didn't have a lot of friendly food. I tried to stop my lip from turning in disgust as I got passed the soup can, I tried not to think about how many diseases and issues people could get from this. I scooped up a small piece of carrot and a noodle that was stuck to it, eating that quickly and passing to Tris. 

When I was younger if I had been hungry without realising, I would be starving the moment I ate the smallest bite of something. Now... I just felt sick. Eating wasn't as appealing as it used to be, I ate enough to keep my energy, but I couldn't be bothered anymore. Surely I was going to die soon anyway? From infection? Being shot? Maybe even from this food. It hurt my jaw to eat, it twisted my stomach and burned my throat as I felt it slowly descend. I didn't want to eat anymore. A small voice in the back of my head wondered if it had something to do with me accepting death so easily in the control room. 

Edward walked over and sat beside Tris, taking the soup from her hands. I eyed him wearily, I still didn't trust being here. And I know Tobias doesn't either, but we didn't know what to do. According to Evelyn there was hundreds of them, we don't have the people or weaponry to deal with that if we somehow insult them. But the way Evelyn looked at me, I wanted to do more than insult her. The more I thought about it, the more I was sure I saw her look me up and down with distaste. And a question kept roaming my brain, how did she know my mother? 

"We used to be friends. Before I 'died' of course." I hummed slightly before she turned onto Tris.

My mother refused to venture from Amity, unless it was for work reasons. There was nothing the Abnegation could have given us, that she would happily walk there. And I was sure she had always been Amity, that was what I had been told, by multiple people. And even if she was there, the age difference between me and Tobias is two years, and Tobias wouldn't have been able to remember that feeling of betrayal from such a young age, and my mother never had me at sixteen the moment she turned Amity. 

It just didn't make sense. 

"So you were all Abnegation huh?" I jumped slightly as Edward spoke, shovelling noodles and carrots into his mouth before passing the soup to his left. Tris shook her head. 

"We were, Tobias and I switched to Dauntless, obviously. Y/n was originally Amity and switched to Dauntless-" Tris stopped for a second. "Caleb and Susan are still Abnegation." 

"Of course you already knew that." Edward looked over at me. Tris and I were somewhat of a... confusion when we joined. A Stiff and a Flower picker. Edward ignored me and continued on. 

"And he's your brother, Caleb. You ditched your family to become Dauntless?" My eyes narrowed slightly as Tris raised an eyebrow. 

"You sound like the Candor, mind keeping judgements to yourself?" Before Edward could reply, Therese leaned over. 

"He was Erudite first, actually. Not Candor." I rolled my eyes, placing my head into my hands. 

"Yeah, we know." Tris angled her head towards me for a second. "We-"

"So was I, had to leave though." I hummed as I began to itch at my neck. I wanted to cover my ears or clean them out as I could hear, 'didn't ask, didn't ask.' Over and over again. What is it with bitches and butting into conversation, shut the fuck up! I couldn't tell why I was getting annoyed, my head hurt, and I was trying to soothe my neck but it felt like it was going to break if I moved it anymore. It feels like one of my moods that I would have walked to the training room for