Eighteen - Any objections?

"Quiet down everyone!" Silence. The moment Jack Kangs hands were raised. I looked around for a moment, expecting to see some kind of whispering, or people sharing looks, nothing. 

I leaned back in my chair and crossed one leg over the other, my eyes going back to Jack Kang before I even registered the thought. A small flash of light is in the corner of my eye, lightning... a room full of people, a room with holes instead of windows... but its the biggest room they have. Yet, I still see no one bat an eye at the common disruption. 

"I know many of you are confused and shaken by what happened yesterday," Jack starts. I absentmindedly put my hand to the gun wound. "I have heard many reports from a variety of perspectives, and have gotten a sense for what is straightforward and what requires more investigation." I raised my eyebrow, my arms crossing. 

I didn't understand what was so un-simple. What needed more investigation. We were attacked, people were killed, children were killed. But it is not my place to bring this up, Candor are the thinking law, different from Dauntless who were the brawny law. They had to treat everything like a court case, evidence. Even if, to me, the blood splattered on the walls that people had scrubbed their hands raw to get rid of, was evidence enough. 

"What seems to me to require more investigation," a beat. They are as dramatic as they are truthful. "Is the Divergent." I have to physically stop myself from straightening my back, to stop any kind of bodily panic that would immediately bring the attention of the people in this room, the ones taught to look for bodily actions. 

But my heart raced in my throat. I don't dare turn my head, or look anywhere but Jack Kang, not even to see Tris' reaction. 

"If you are one of the Divergent, please step forward so that we can hear from you." Trap, it's a trap, run, run as fast as you can. I take a deep breath the moment I hear breath hitching from other people in the room. 

 "It's called Divergent, do me a favour y/n." I nodded. "Don't tell anyone, especially Erudite." "Anyone?" She started rushing as we heard the next names being called. "Family, friends, anyone." 

This was the first time in a while that I had no idea what to do. Even if I had no idea what to do before, I would do something, I would fight with myself, but I would do something. Sitting in this chair is something right? But it's not, because I haven't chosen to sit in this chair, I'm frozen. 

Then my eyes move upwards, watching as Tobias moved forward, I picked at my skin. I looked back at Tris, she looked at me, we both stared for a few seconds before she started moving forward, softly saying 'excuse me' to others. I sighed and shook my head, stupid... stupid... stupid... I thought to myself as I stood up and moved forward, deciding to dodge people rather than wait for them to move. A few others reached the middle at the same time I did, one of the girls I recognised from the line up.

I looked over my shoulder for a moment, quickly looking forward again and straightening my shoulders as I saw the poisonous looks sent our way. As if to say we are dirty, dangerous, everything Erudite fed. 

Despite the notoriety Tobias, Tris and I have gained, whether from Dauntless or something else. None of the focus is on us after a few seconds. It's on Marcus, and I find myself shooting him the same look everyone was doing to me previously. Hypocrite.   

"You, Marcus?" Jack asked, I continued staring at Marcus. He seemed like the highlight of Abnegation, on cameras at least. But truthfully, he was so self confident and had his head so far up his own ass, he wanted every single drop of attention he could get. Is that what Tobias was talking about back in Amity? Making himself seem more important?