Seventeen - "Uriah."

I focused on my breathing, refusing to let the pain of my wound put me into another sleep, knowing that if I did, I wasn't waking up this time. I imagined how my lungs filled with air, and how they deflated. I looked at Tris, who's hand was moving slowly to her pocket, I looked at a Candor woman who was wet with sweat and tears, and a Candor boy who couldn't have been older than eleven, who stared down the Dauntless traitors. 

I slowly moved my hand, off of my stomach, trying to create the illusion of my body dying. I felt around in my back pocket, my gun not being there. Had it fallen out when I was being dragged here? Was it lying in the hallway somewhere, or was a Dauntless traitor using it? 

There was nothing I had on me that I could use as a weapon. And I focused on my breathing again, feeling how my stomach was somewhat restricted. I put my hand under my hoodie and unbuckled my belt with one hand. Leaving it unbuckled, I pulled my hand away.

As I watched the Dauntless traitors walk around, I found myself wanting the adrenaline that I used to hate. The love for the fight, the hurt. I wanted it back, I wanted to have the confidence to believe that I could beat everyone here, but I couldn't shake the knowing of if I made any move, I would be shot immediately. 

There was truly nothing I could do, I could feel the stare of the man behind me, his gun surely pointed at the back of my head. Eric would never let me be left with no supervision. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. 

I push myself up, the pain in my stomach causing me to falter, before I can even think of grabbing the gun from the man's hands, I get shot. 

I pull his foot out from under him, all of the other traitors shoot me. 

I wait until Eric is near and stand, wrapping my belt around his neck, the traitors behind me shoot me. 

I open my eyes again, I couldn't think of anything. The only way I could get out of this alive is if backup came, or if Tris was to take the lead. I would have to deal with the man behind me, his gun is trained on me, I'm lazy target practice. But if Tris was to move then he would have to move his aim. 

"My orders are to take only two of you back to Erudite headquarters for testing." I look at Eric, no longer trying to hide that I was awake, I relished in the look of disappointment as he met my eyes. "The rest of you are to be executed. There are several ways to determine who among you will be least useful to us."

He stops pacing and approaches Tris, it was quickly clear to be a scare tactic, because he turns to the boy on her left once he believes he is close enough. 

"The brain finishes developing at age twenty-five." Says Eric. "Therefore your Divergence is not completely developed."

I jolt as a bang rang through the air. I watched as the boys body fell to the ground, Tris lets out a strained scream and closes her eyes. I start to feel a burning in my chest, my adrenaline picks up as I stare at the child's body, I bit on my lip, not stopping when I feel a sharp pain and taste blood. This is the kind of feeling I need, it's the kind I crave. It's the kind that will let me kill Eric. 

Eric looked at me, and I found it no longer hard to move without my body hurting, I narrowed my eyes and followed him as he stood in front of Tris. He spared me another quick glance before talking, "most of the Divergent get two results in the aptitude test. Some only get one. No one has ever gotten three, not because of aptitude, but simply because in order to get that result, you have to refuse to choose something." I continued to stare at him, not daring to blink. And I knew he could see me, with every little flick of his eye, he was making sure I was still in my spot. "My superiors suspect that you got two, Tris," he says. "They don't think you're that complex—just an even blend of Abnegation and Dauntless—selfless to the point of idiocy. Or is that brave to the point of idiocy? Just between you and me ... I think you might have gotten three, because you're the kind of bullheaded person who would refuse to make a simple choice just because she was told to," he says. "Care to enlighten me?"

I could see Tris tighten her hand around her knife but something stops her and she looks at me. "If you want someone with more than two, talk to that one." His eyebrow raised as he glanced at me. 

"And how many did you get, Y/n? Cause you don't have a fully developed Divergence either. Were you the one with three?" I chuckled, feeding on every word he said, letting the anger of what I just witnessed flow more into my bloodstream. 

"Four." A small hum of whispering broke out between the ones that heard me. Eric glared. And he walked over to me, I let my senses inspect every bit of him, every bit I hated, letting my rage fill my chest. 

"For that to happen, there would have to be an extra choice... which there isn't." 

"There's a secret one." I sat up, playing the act of the hurt girl. I heard a gun click and Eric put his hand up. I readjusted myself. "The candor only simulation, you can choose to calm the man, giving you an Amity grade." I spoke almost in a whisper, as if I was sharing a secret. "Might want to speak to Jeanine about that, I'm sure she would love to hear about it." The mention of Jeanine was the boiling point, I was shaking with how much adrenaline I had, with how much I wanted to... no... needed to kill him. 

When I felt something slip under my hand, I didn't need to look at it. I wove the knife between my fingers, flipping it to sit comfortably in the palm of hand, before pushing it upwards. I feel a weight lifted off of my shoulders as I push past the part of his body that tries to reject the knife. I watch as his eyes widen in confusion, mixed with a little fear, and I smile. 

I smile because I've finally done it, I might not have killed him yet, but goddamn I showed him that no matter what he does, I will always be better. 

I don't realise how much shooting is going on in the background. I do one final push before swiftly pulling out the knife. I take my belt and wrap it around my stomach. Groaning slightly at the pain, but it quickly subsides due to the adrenaline. My eyes widen and flick to my right, I bring my arm up I throw my knife at the woman aiming at me. I turn away before I see where it hits, but the sound of a body falling without disruption gives me a good idea. 

I lean down and yank Eric's gun away from him, ignoring the sound of him still being alive. I had to keep myself alive first. 

I brought up my gun and started firing, looking at the Dauntless that had no blue armbands. My eyebrows furrowed. How are they all awake? I get pulled back, I swing around, hitting whoever grabbed me with the side of the gun. 

"What did I do?" I stopped. 

"Uriah." I felt disappointment settled deep in my stomach. I look at the area Tris was before and saw she was moved. I refuse to look around and continue shooting anyone with a blue armband. I don't have to look around, I know where he is and who he's with. 

1368 words. 

Don't ask what is happening with the title, I have no clue