Eleven - "I don't want to talk right now."

I expected to be handcuffed, it was the only logical thing I could think of after holding a gun to the guards. But after my gun was taken away, they led us towards an elevator. I rubbed my wrists subconsciously, why wouldn't they handcuff me? I should be happy that I don't have to have metal wrapped tightly around my wrists, but I could only feel confused. 

Tris asks multiple times why we were being arrested, but she got no answer. Soon enough she fell quiet. We arrive on the third level, the marble floor a blinding white compared to the black on the first floor. We get led to a room where there was no furniture except for a long bench. Every faction had a holding room in case if someone caused trouble, I had been in the Amity one a few times, but it was a lot more welcoming than this. I peek over my shoulder as I hear the door lock. 

Tobias sits on the bench as Tris begins pacing five steps at a time. I stand still and continue to watch the door. There was no reason for them to arrest us, unless it had something to do with Erudite, which I had no doubt it did. Erudite never took over Candor, or so I was told, so could we have possibly done something that looked like we sided with Erudite. I don't believe I did. I still can't remember much from during the simulation, but I know I never sided with Erudite if anything Tobias did, even if it was for a brief moment. Tris shot Dauntless soldiers, but the Dauntless are with Erudite so that doesn't add up. 

I walk over and sit on the opposite end of the bench, rubbing my temple with one hand and biting my nails on the other. One, two, three, four, five, one, two-

"Can you calm down?" I snap looking at Tris. 

"I am calming down." 

"Really? 'Cause what it looks like is that you're guilty of whatever they are arresting us for, Candor are the truthful ones, they read body language, sit down." Tris sits down and wraps her arm around her legs. No one says anything for a while, but slowly Tris gets smaller and smaller. Tris and Tobias talk quietly amongst themselves as I spit out another nail. 

Candor, Erudite, Erudite, Candor. I never sided with Erudite I wouldn't dare, had Candor been taken over and they just never told anyone, wouldn't have to lie if you just kept your mouth shut. What if Erudite is leaving Candor alone... just get the three divergents. I don't like how close those two are. 

I stop and look at Tris and Tobias, they had leaned into each other while talking so they could keep their voices quiet, were they trying to stop Candor from hearing them... or me? 

I jump slightly as the door opens and people file in. Two Candor's with guns, a dark skinned Candor man, a Dauntless woman I couldn't recall, and Jack King. The representative of Candor. For other factions, King is a young leader, only thirty-nine, but in Dauntless Eric became a leader at seventeen. Probably the reason a lot of people believe Dauntless makes rash decisions. 

I looked away from the group, not wanting to know any of them, even if it was only by their face. I was slowly finding it harder to believe in any friendships being made the longer Erudite done what they wanted. We could visit this place tomorrow and it could be levelled. The only thing I believe is that King will tell us what is what quickly, without small talk. 

"They told me you seem confused about why you were arrested. To me that means you're either falsely accused, or are good at pretending. The only-" Tris cuts King off. 

"What are we accused of?" 

"He is accused of crimes against humanity. And you two are accused of being his accomplices!" My jaw dropped as I looked at him. 

"Crimes against humanity?!" King turned to me. 

"We saw video footage of the attack. You were running the attack simulation." My eyebrows furrowed.