Twelve - "Thank you for your honesty."

"I will ask you a series of simple questions so you can grow accustomed to the serum as it takes full effect." Says a boy named Niles. "Now what is your name?" I watched Tobias, his head low as if his body is to heavy. He squirms and says through gritted teeth.

"Four." He wasn't wrong. Four was the name he used in Dauntless, barely anyone there knew him as Tobias. Christina walks up behind Tris and I, stopping in the middle of us. We don't say anything, wanting to hear the questions and Tobias' answers.

"That is a nickname. What is your real name?"

"Tobias." Christina looks at me.

"Did you know that?"

"Yes." I mumble. I didn't like the idea of having to tell the truth, but I had been accused of being an accomplice to a man who had been accused of crimes against humanity. I would usually be defiant towards this sort of thing, but it is no longer only me on the line.

"What are the names of your parents, Tobias." My back straightened. To other people this question would be an easy one to answer, or it would be confusing as to why it wasn't. But Tobias' parents are not good people, and no one here knows his last name is Eaton yet.

"Why is this relevant." A burst of mumbling from the crowd. I looked around confused, he was right, why is it relevant?

"What's going on?" I asked Christina.

"It's extremely difficult not to immediately answer questions while under the truth serum. It means he has a seriously strong will, and something to hide." I roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"Maybe it wasn't relevant before, Tobias." Niles says. "But it is now that you've resisted answering the question. Thenames of your parents, please." I know that Tobias' parents aren't the best people, and it's a name that Tobias hates having, but Tris and I were also on the line here. He wasn't making himself look good, it felt like back in Amity when he turned hostile to the woman from Erudite. He was going to get us killed if he wasn't careful.

Tobias grits his teeth. "Evelyn and Marcus Eaton." People started whispering, it didn't take a genius to know the the crowd recognised those names. Considering Marcus was part of the government, and Evelyn was his wife who died young... Apart from those two things, the Eaton name was powerful, it was a name everyone knew, and everyone knew the rumours that circled Erudite's newspapers when Tobias left Abnegation.

Marcus' name was powerful, but Tobias Eaton had a whole different meaning to power.

Niles waits for silence before continuing. "So you are a faction transfer, are you not?" I raised an eyebrow at Christina. What was with these questions?

"Yes, isn't that obvious?" Tobias snapped. Even if I was starting to get annoyed too, all I could think was that it would take one wrong answer for them to throw us to Erudite.

"One of the purposes of this interrogation is to determine your loyalties." Says Niles. "So I must ask: Why did youtransfer?" I was slowly becoming more and more worried about these types of questions, maybe they were giving Tobias worse questions cause they believe he was the man in charge, but even so...

I watch as Tobias stops himself from talking, the serum clearly taking effect as his breathing got heavier, and his face turned red. Candor is an unforgiving faction, and it was starting to show more clearly.

Tris began to talking to Christina, voicing her concerns. "He's fine." I say through gritted teeth. Tris looks over at me.

"Whatever it is Y/n, he clearly isn't fine with it." She raised an eyebrow. "Do you know what his answer is?" I ignored her and watched Tobias as he continued to struggle against the serum. It was his business, and it shouldn't be pried out of him, but it is his pride he is trying to keep intact, he wants to forget about everything that happened and not talk about it, all because he wants to save his pride.