Getting to Know One Another

"She never saw herself as a west coaster"
— Carolina by Harry Styles

Taylor's POV
"So, where are you from Taylor?"
"Mississippi, but I've been in California for the last few years."

"Nice, I could hear you had an accent from somewhere. That reminds me, do you need to go home anytime soon? I know you were probably originally expecting to only stay for a couple of days in Texas."

"No, I don't need to go back anytime soon."

"You sure? I'm sure you have a job or school to go back to. Not to mention friends and family. Don't feel pressured to stay for my sake or for your friend Avery."

"I really don't have much holding me back in California. Actually I've been wanting to move out for a while now."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you're the first person I've told but... ugh it's a long story." A part of me wanted to tell Nash. I wanted to get this off my chest and I feel like I could trust him. However, he'd probably think I'm a loser after I told him.

"Well, after I graduated high school I took a gap year. I never figured out what I wanted to do and if I wanted to go to college or not. So I took that year to work, save up some money, and travel a little. I thought I'd eventually figure out a plan after that year. But... I didn't. So, I did the same thing the next year. But that didn't work out either. So I did it the year after that. And of course, I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I'm still living with my parents because rent in California is crazy expensive. I can tell they want me out, even though they'd never say so. I started some classes at a community college this year and I absolutely hate it. I really want to quit but I know my parents and Avery would be livid if I did so. On top of all that, I hate living in California. I mean it's fine and I get why people love it but, I miss the South. So yeah... now you know I'm a loser who doesn't know what they want to do with their life and is disappointing their family."

I took a deep breath then started crying. I could feel Nash come closer and put his arm around me. "You probably think I'm a gold digger now. I promise you I'm not but if you want to end our relationship I'd totally understand. I can leave now if you want."

"Taylor. Look at me."

I looked up at Nash as he took his hand and gently wiped away my tears.

"I would never think that, okay? I trust you. Also you are not a loser. You understand that? Don't let anyone, including yourself, ever try to tell you otherwise."

I slowly nodded my head as I listened.

"Besides, I can relate to what you're sayin darlin'."

"Y-you can?"

"Definitely. My grandfather was an absolute genius. An innovator, like Xander. A smart and successful business man, like Grayson. A daring risk taker, like Jameson. I was none of those things. My brothers and I are very different. They are all extraordinary and I'm just ordinary. Growing up, they all seemed to have special talents and bright futures ahead. And me? Well, I had no idea what I was good at and what I wanted to do with my life. Like you, I still don't."

Nash's POV
I can't believe I told her that. I'd never told anyone how I felt like I was the loser brother. It felt good to let it out. To have someone to relate to.

"Taylor, you're the prettiest, kindest, and happiest person I've ever met. Quit worrying about not knowing what to do with your life. You'll figure it out eventually. Besides, you got millions of reasons now to not worry about it. Literally."

"Haha true. Also Nash, don't compare yourself to your brothers. They kinda seem like assholes anyways."

I started cracking up. I can see why I like this girl.

"If it means anything, you're my favorite Hawthorne."

"No, that's all that matters darlin'." I said as I picked her up and twirled her around, a huge grin on both of our faces. I don't think we stopped smiling for the rest of the night.