Just a Game

Taylor's POV
I woke up to the sound of something breaking and Nash yelling. "Oh good lord almighty, give me strength to deal with this." I muttered under my breath. I was getting worried about Nash. I haven't known him for long but I can already tell he is the kind of person that tries to suppress things until, well until they let them out in episodes like this.

I quietly opened the office door where the noise was coming from and peeked my head in. "Nash? Everything alright?"

"Oh shit baby, did I wake you up? I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. But I think whatever this is..." I motioned to the broken lamp and his pacing around the room. "I think you need to talk it out. Obviously, you have issues with your family. I see you try to ignore it, but sometimes you have to face it. Here, let's talk about it."

I walked over to a large leather sofa and motioned for Nash to sit beside me. He sighed and sat down next to me.

"I don't want to burden you with this darlin'. I mean, some of this I've never told anyone and you didn't even know me a few days ago! I don't want to scare you off."

I rolled my eyes. "Nash, you ain't gonna scare me off!" Nash still looked uncertain. "No, honestly Nash. I promise you can tell me anything at anytime."

"Well then sweetheart, here goes nothin'. I'm mad because of a letter I found from my grandfather. I thought it would offer some explanations but it's just another one of his stupid games. You see, my grandfather was very well... unique. He always turned everything into a game and I think this whole will thing is another one of his little puzzles. My brothers always loved playing the games and I know they will be trying to solve this one as well. I don't know what the purpose is of having Avery inherit everything, but I don't really care. I am nervous about how it will make my entire family go crazy but I could care less about that fortune. Darlin', you'll see that money and power is a curse not a blessing. The Hawthornes are prime examples. Anyways, I don't care about that game. I'll leave that to my brothers to solve. But... the, well the thing that makes me angry... I don't know how to say this Taylor."

"It's okay baby." I grabbed Nash's hand. I noticed he purposely was avoiding eye contact with me. Whatever he was about to say was something really affecting him.

"I'm scared you're just a game too. A sick joke from the old man reminding me I'll never get what I really want. A punishment for not being what he wanted me to be." Nash whispered.

"Nash, what are you talking about? I don't know what your grandfather meant by this being "some game" but you aren't a game to me."

"I know that darlin'. And trust me, you ain't just some game to me either. I just don't want you to get hurt. I-I just don't know what's in store for us. My grandfather is still controlling shit from the grave."

I looked Nash in the eye as I put my hands on his shoulders. "Whatever this is, we're in it together, okay?"

Nash took a deep breath. "Okay."