Part 17: "Lawful Matrimony"

"We are gathered here today to join you two together in lawful matrimony..."

Hope and Josie share a quick glance, as they stand side by side, in front of the officiant.

"And your witnesses today?"

Josie answers the woman, "Lizzie and Raf," as she turns to face the two.

She notices that Raf is enthusiastically filming the ceremony.

He turns the camera to face himself and Lizzie, both wearing big smiles, "That's us!"

He points between himself and Lizzie, unnecessarily.

The officiant continues warmly, "Hope Mikaelson, do you pledge to love this woman, to be true and loyal to her, and to comfort and keep her in sickness and in health?"

"I do."

The officiant smiles sweetly, turning to Josie, "Josie Saltzman, do you pledge to love this woman, to be true and loyal to her, and to comfort and keep her in sickness and in health?"

"I do," Josie answers with a nod.

The two exchange another glance, almost to confirm that what they say is true.

The officiant gestures for Raf and Lizzie to hand over the rings to the couple, as Hope and Josie turn to face each other.

Raf hands Hope the new wedding band she bought to match her mother's engagement ring Josie wears.

Lizzie hands Josie their late mother's wedding band that Hope agreed to wear for Josie.

Hope takes the band and begins to slip it onto Josie's finger, before Josie does the same for Hope.

The minister continues, "By the power vested in me by the State of California, I now pronounce you married."

The two share a subtle smile.

They actually did it.

They went through with it.

They're married.

Legally and financially intertwined.

"You may kiss your bride."

This was to be expected, but Hope still looks into Josie's eyes, silently asking permission as she reaches a hand up to softly cup her cheek.

When Josie doesn't show any hesitation, Hope leans in.

Josie closes her eyes in anticipation.

And then she feels soft lips on her own, kissing her tenderly and endearingly.

Despite the briefness of the kiss, Josie hates that it's easily the best kiss she's ever had.

When their lips separate and their eyes open, they remain locked in a gaze, equally overwhelmed by the unexpected romantic effect of the ceremony and the kiss they shared.

"Congratulations," the minister breaks them out of their intense stare.

Hope tries to force a smile to the minister, while Josie awkwardly tears her eyes from the auburn haired girl, tugging her lip between her teeth, playing it all back in her head again.

———

When the four walk out of the building, Hope and Josie are surprised by their friends, congratulating them joyfully.

MG and his band, Raf, Ethan, Jed, Kaleb, and Cleo.

And surprisingly, Maya is there too.

After offering hugs of gratitude to everyone else, Hope pauses in front of Maya, not entirely sure if the girl would even want that.

But Maya offers a weary smile before pulling Hope into an embrace and whispering, "I really am happy for you Hope."

Hope hasn't seen her since the night Maya left her alone on the dock, after confessing her love for the Tribrid.

Josie hates the almost protective feeling she gets, remembering how hurt and uncharacteristically vulnerable Hope was that night.

Hope pulls away from the hug after a prolonged moment, "Thank you," she then addresses the group,  "It means a lot to us that you're all here," before absentmindedly intertwining her hand with Josie's.

Josie thinks it's funny, they're already 'us' people.

They're starting to sound and act like a real married couple.

And that thought yanks Josie back to reality.

This isn't real.

As real as the ceremony and the kiss felt, it's all fake.

Their friends congratulate them again before sending them off with cheers and suggestive comments to the honeymoon suite at the nice hotel on base, a tradition that many soldiers on their base have carried on over the years.

The one night that the two agreed they would spend together before Hope is deployed.