Part 31: "I Hate the Way..."

🎵I hate...

Josie hums, tapping a pen as she tries to write new lyrics, experimenting with different chords on her piano.

🎵I hate the way you...

——————————————

Josie sits on the bench of the piano, in front of a small group of people who work for a small label who is considering signing her and the band.

"Okay, this one isn't finished yet, but it's a little something I've been working on..."

She plays the chords she'd written, singing the words once again inspired by her wife,

🎵
I hate the way you say my name.
I hate your picture-perfect lips, on mine.
If I could, I'd cut the breaks.
I hate that I can't help but stay, oh my..

And I hate the way...
I say words that I laughed at before
And I hate the way...
My thoughts aren't mine, now they're yours

Look at what you've created
Something borderline sacred
I call it overrated
Go on and call me jaded

'Cause I hate the way...
I say words that I laughed at before.

———————

Hope takes a few steps, holding on tightly to the bars at either side of her body, barely putting any weight on one of her legs, the one that was injured worse. Her wheelchair rests right behind her in case she were to fall back.

"Hey!"

She looks up to see Josie approaching with a smile plastered on her lips, and Hope returns it, leaning her body weight against one of the horizontal beams.

"Hi, you're back early," She observes. Josie had brought her to therapy this time.

Josie nods, "Yeah, I know."

Hope glances at her watch, "Well, I'm uh..I'm almost done—"

"No rush, Hope," Josie assures her.

Hope nods and goes back to one of her exercises, working her calfs a bit as she holds her weight up with her arms, pushing up onto her toes and back down to her heal repeatedly.

Josie smiles at her, "Look at you!...You're doing so much better already."

Before Hope can respond, she's distracted by a sound. A barking sound. As a large dog comes running their direction, MG following behind it.

Hope furrows her eyebrows in the direction, lowering herself to sit in her chair, "MG, you got a dog?"

The dog stops right in front of Hope's chair, sitting down.

MG chuckles, "Are you kidding me? No! She's for you," MG says, gesturing at the pet.

Hope's jaw gapes a bit, thinking it's a joke.

Josie grins, "Her name is Peaches. Isn't she cute?"

Hope just looks between the two, dumbfound.

Josie squats by the dog, "Paw," she commands, and the dog puts her paw in Josie's palm, "Shake," The dog moves it's paw up and down in Josie's hand now.

MG grins, "See? She's already trained and everything."

Josie explains, "We read that dogs can be really helpful in the healing process..." She says, standing to her feet a bit nervously as Hope crosses her arms disapprovingly, "Plus you're," She looks around before whispering to her wife, "part werewolf."