Part 43: "Bloody Hell"

"Thank you for coming tonight, Hope. It really means a lot to me," Freya tells her niece as Hope washes the dishes for her.

The night has been fairly pleasant so far, but Hope wants to make something very clear to Freya, "I didn't do it for you," She says simply, before glancing through the window to the yard, where Josie, Nik, and Keelin run around with Peaches.

Freya nods, growing melancholy after that.

"So...should I be worried about that kid who had all those things to say about your marriage?"

Hope finishes drying the last dish and puts it away before scoffing, "That guy is a drug dealer, Freya. He doesn't know what he's talking about, and I took care of him. He won't be bothering us anymore."

Freya studies Hope for a moment before nodding a single time and asking, "What are you doing getting involved with a drug dealer anyway? Don't tell me this is a hobby you picked up in the past 4 and a half years?" She half jokes.

Hope furrows her eyebrows at her aunt, and she's about to respond in a not-so-nice manner, but their conversation is interrupted when Josie enters the kitchen, wrapping her arms around Hope's waist from behind as she smiles warmly at Freya, "Thank you for having us over again. I know Peaches loves playing with Nik."

"It's no trouble at all, sweetheart," Freya forces a smile, though her eyes go right back to Hope, and Josie can suddenly feel the tension in the room as Freya says, "You didn't answer my question."

"You're right, I didn't," Hope says with a coldness in her voice that Josie truly doesn't recognize.

"Babe—"

Hope's voice and features soften as she looks at Josie, "We should get going, love."

Josie furrows her eyebrows, but she doesn't question Hope now, "O-Okay, let me just go get the dog—"

But Freya doesn't relent as she tries to piece everything together, though she has it all wrong, "Are you taking something to slow your healing? Does he deal magic herbs, or something—"

"No, I'm not. Not that that's any of your business."

Josie asks Hope softly, "What's she talking about?"

Freya answers for Hope, "The boy who claimed your marriage was a scam. What could he possibly have to gain from saying such a thing?"

"He—"

"Jo, you don't have to—"

"Yes, I do," She doesn't want Hope's own family questioning her, though she hates that she has to defend her marriage with the auburnette, it was always to be expected. That's what is sure to come with a fake marriage, "My sister, after we lost our mom, she went through a rocky path. She ended up in rehab..."

Josie trails off as Freya nods slowly in realization and understanding.

Freya sighs softly, "I'm sorry to hear that."
And Josie only nods with a weak smile.
Freya looks to Hope, "You took care of this?"

Hope nods.

And Freya looks down, "I'm sorry. I'm just...trying to make sense of everything."

Freya still doesn't understand why Hope hasn't fully healed. And she still doesn't completely understand why Hope joined the Marines in the first place. And this marriage is so new...But Freya also knows she's really in no position to question her niece.

"You two drive safe, alright?"

Hope nods, and Josie moves to give Freya a brief hug, and Freya furrows her eyebrows as she notices something.