Part 18: "It's Our Honeymoon" 🔞

Hope opens the door to their hotel suite for Josie, letting her enter the room first.

Josie sighs looking at the large bed at the center of the room.

Hope shuts and locks the door, setting their bags to the side and letting her hair down before walking over to the bed and grabbing one of the pillows, "You can get the first shower if you want."

Josie only eyes Hope with confusion written all over her expression, as Hope takes the pillow and lays it on the ground before grabbing the large throw blanket from the foot of the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm gonna sleep down here."

"No you're not. Hope, it's your last night before your deployment. We can share a king-sized bed for one night."

"Okay..." Though Hope is hesitant, she caves and does as Josie said, moving to put the blanket and pillow back.

Josie hesitates before addressing something that she's picked up on, "You've been quiet ever since we left your friends."

"I've got a lot on my mind."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Hope furrows her eyebrows at the girl.
Since when does Josie ask Hope to talk about her feelings?
"No..I'm good...?"

Josie scoffs softly, "You know, you don't always have to put up the whole tough act."

"I'm not putting up an act, Josie—"

"Are you seriously incapable of admitting that you have feelings? It's okay to be scared—"

It's Hope's turn to scoff, "I'm not scared Josie."

Josie argues as she turns to get her clothes from her bag, "Okay, fine, whatever..."

"Josie, please—"

She doesn't notice Hope growing more and more anxious by the second, breathing heavier and having to sit at the foot of the bed, "I'm just trying to help, but just as I suspected, you're too full of yourself to accept—"

"You're right."

Josie stops what she's doing and turns to look at the Tribrid, who she finally notices is sitting with her head tilted toward her hands in her lap as she nervously fiddles with her wedding band.

"I'm scared."

Josie softens, letting Hope continue without her interrupting.

"Between the marriage and the deployment, I'm just...a little overwhelmed, and...and I know that there's a chance that one of them will get seriously hurt over there, while I'm fated to live forever, and I don't think I can handle losing anyone else right now. I just...I don't know how to make this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach go away. I know I won't be able to protect them all forever...I'm terrified..."

The admission is nearly as overwhelming for Josie as it is for Hope.

She never expected such vulnerability from the girl.

Josie feels a tug of her heart, pulling her closer to her wife.

She takes a seat next to her at the foot of the bed, "I'm sorry," She eyes Hope carefully.

The girl seems almost regretful for admitting she's afraid.

It seems like a first for her, so Josie is quick to reassure her.

She places her hand on Hope's thigh comfortingly , "Hey, you would be absolutely crazy if you weren't  scared, Hope."

She notices Hope swallow thickly, suddenly hyperaware of her vulnerability.