Part 32: "Hold Onto Me"

Hope opens the car door, getting out on the passenger side before limping to the back door, opening it up for Peaches to jump out.

She sighs nervously as she looks toward the house she hasn't visited in about four-and-a-half years now.

Freya called Josie, asking them to come by for a casual dinner, and of course, much to Hope's dismay, Josie said 'yes.'

"I can't believe you got us into this," Hope mumbles.

Josie shakes her head, grabbing a bottle of wine from the car before shutting the door and walking around to Hope, intertwining their hands, partially to keep up appearances, and partially to help Hope walk.

She's been progressing a lot in the past couple of weeks, still not as fast as she should be, though. And Josie's well aware of that, but she's been trying to maintain Hope's right to privacy.

"They've been extremely helpful, Hope. Taking you to PT when I'm at work, bringing by some groceries...I just thought one dinner might be the right thing to do. Plus, she assured me it's just a small gathering, not your whole family."

Hope sighs, deflating a bit, "I just don't want them to catch on—"

"Commando, stop worrying, okay? I mean, look at us. We're so cute and suburban. It's disgusting. Come on, Peaches," Josie calls their dog.

Hope shakes her head at that with a soft chuckle.

—————————

"Come here, Nik, I want you to hear a new song," Hope calls her little cousin over, setting him gently on her thighs as she pulls out her phone, going directly to the recording of Josie's song she has saved to her playlist.

She begins to play it for the little boy, who smiles widely, excited to see Hope for the first time since he was three. Hope was surprised the kid even remembered her.

Hope discloses as the boy listens to the song, "She's my favorite artist," She glances to Josie and winks at her.

The attention only causes Josie's cheeks to tint pink. She mouths at Hope, knowing the woman is trying to avert the attention away from her own presence and onto Josie, 'I hate you.'

Hope only chuckles and shakes her head, knowing it's a lie.

Hope's aunt Keelin hums, "I like this song."

"Oh, really? Cause I have plenty more—"

"Okay, that's enough of that," Josie takes the phone away from Hope, her cheeks burning at the attention now. And Hope only leaves a kiss against her red cheek.

"Hope, will you play football with me?" Nik asks from Hope's lap.

Freya shakes her head, "Oh, honey, I don't think that's a good idea. She's still healing, remember?"

The boy pouts, "But why Hopey?"

Josie raises an eyebrow at the nickname, smirking at Hope as soon as the Tribrid looks her way with a knowing glare. She's definitely going to be teased about that later.

Hope picks the boy up to set him on his feet, before she rises to her own feet, "I'll play with you for a minute, bud."

Freya looks worriedly at Hope, "Are you sure that's a good—"

"I'll be fine, Freya," Hope says a bit dismissively, but she can't really help it.

After four and a half years, her family wants to care all of a sudden?

Freya sighs as Hope limps off with Nik.

And Josie calls after her wife, "Be careful, babe."

"Yes ma'am," Hope says before mumbling, "Bossy."