Part 11: "I'm With Josie Now."

"I'm sorry to drag you away from everyone. I just...didn't feel right telling you this with everyone listening..."

Hope leans against the railing of the dock, tilting her head curiously at Maya, "Telling me what?"

Maya smiles softly as she lets out a sigh.

She's always loved the fact that Hope was never one to dance around the bush. She was always straight to the point.

"Hope...Ever since I met you, I knew there was something about you, something special. I knew that we would share something so incredible, but I couldn't put my finger on it until tonight."

Hope waits patiently for Maya to continue, genuinely not sure where she's going with this speech.

Maya senses that, so she tries to use an analogy, something that Hope understands fully.

They're pilots, elite marine aviators. Hope understands that better than anything.

"You know, sometimes we're in a fighter jet together, and we get at a safe altitude, above all the noise of the city, no turbulence, no distractions, you're in complete control, and it feels like the jet comes to life right under you...And it feels like more than just propellers and altitude and speed. It feels like something...something else going on. There's something pulling us forward and surrounding us at the same time..."

"Maya—"

"Am I making any sense?"

Maya notices a glossy appearance to Hope's eyes, perhaps from the cold breeze, or maybe it's the moonlight hitting her perfectly.

Hope understands perfectly now.

She nods slowly with a weary smile, "You're making perfect sense."

Maya feels relieved, finally putting into words the way she feels.

But Hope's next words are like a bucket of ice water.

"But Maya, I'm with Josie now. I thought you understood that—"

"I know Hope, and normally I wouldn't do something like this. I'd let you have your flings with other people, because I always knew you'd come back to me...But now you're engaged to her, while we have something so great and so real. And I feel like...this feeling only comes around once in a lifetime Hope..."

Hope breaks eye contact with her, looking downward as tears finally escape Maya's own eyes.

"Hope, I'm in love with you."

——

MG, Kaleb and Lizzie exchange a look, their vamp hearing giving them the ability to barely make out the conversation on the dock, though it's a little muffled with the sound of the waves being so prominent.

Not that they were actively trying to eavesdrop.

But the words 'I'm in love with you' were loud and clear.

"What?" Josie looks between them, noticing the sudden tension in the air.

——

Hope can feel her heart shatter at Maya's words.

She takes a troubled breath, clenching her jaw before looking the girl in the eyes.

Under any other circumstances, she'd be happy to hear those words from Maya.

But now she's made a commitment to Josie.

She truly doesn't know what to do.

Maya steps closer to her, cupping her jaw, "Tell me I'm alone in this. Tell me I'm alone in my feelings, and I won't bother you with this again." She almost dares Hope, so confident that the girl feels the same way deep down.

Hope can't say anything for a moment, just looking into familiar eyes.

Maya is comfortable to Hope.

They've been seeing each other on and off since mere months after Hope's memory was tainted.

When Hope felt entirely empty, Maya was there to make her feel less hollow.

But, Josie needs her to stick to the plan. And Josie can provide Hope the freedom she needs from the hex placed on her.

And as selfish as it may seem, she needs to go through with this plan.

She needs to remember.

After another shaky breath, Hope places her hands on top of Maya's, removing them from her own skin.

She whispers painfully, regretfully, "I'm so sorry..."

A few tears escape Maya as she steps back in disbelief.

"Maya—"

"No. You don't have to say anything Hope," She shakes her head, avoiding eye contact as she shrugs, "I shouldn't have put you in this position. Your fiancé—Josie seems like she's a perfect match for you...I mean, she must be; you let her touch you in ways that...I never could."
Hope doesn't miss Maya's eyes glancing down at the ink on her arms.
"You love her. And...that's all I've ever wanted for you. To be happy, find your best friend..."
Hope can hear the pain in Maya's voice, but she shrugs again, trying to seem nonchalant.

Hope can't even bring herself to respond. She doesn't know what to say.

Maya still avoids eye contact, seeming completely lost now, "I um—I should probably go—"

"Maya, you don't have to leave—"

"Yes I do. I want to be happy for you Hope, but I can't stand to watch someone love you in ways I've only ever dreamed of. It's too hard."
Hope looks even more heartbroken, if that were even possible.
"From now on, we're coworkers. That's it...I think that's what's best for me and for your relationship."

It feels wrong.

But Hope nods reluctantly, trying to respect her decision, "I'm really sorry Maya—"

"Don't be. You don't have to apologize for anything. We agreed to no strings attached a long time ago. I thought it would be easy but as it turns out..."
She pauses for a moment, finally working up the courage to look Hope in the eyes, "I should go."
She nods, most to herself.

"At least let me walk you to your car—"

Maya shakes her head, "You don't have to do that."

Hope visibly deflates as Maya turns around to make her way back toward the beach, and a stray tear finally escapes Hope's eye, to be quickly wiped from her cheek.

Then Maya pauses in her tracks and turns back to face Hope again, "Congratulations on your engagement Hope...I don't think I said that before..."

Hope knows she's trying to be genuinely happy for her, but it feels more like a punch to the gut.

She doesn't have time to respond before Maya is turning back around and walking away.

It isn't until Maya is halfway down the dock that Hope turns around to look out at the water. Only, her sight is blurred by the rising tide in her eyes.

She leans against the wooden rails, putting her face into her hands as she attempts to pull herself together before she can head back up to her friends and her 'fiancé.'