Part 35: "Did You Know?"

Josie slips into bed that night after returning home from work and having her shower, trying not to make too much noise or movement.

But she fails, since Hope is such a light sleeper.

The auburnette turns toward her, her voice a bit hoarse, "Hey, how was work?"

She turns on her side to try and face Josie, though she groans a bit, since the position puts pressure on her leg.

The brunette sighs as she pulls the sheets up to cover her body, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you—"

"It's okay, Jo," Hope smiles lazily at her, her eyes fluttering open and closed.

She's been increasingly tired lately, because of her body trying to heal and her nearly drowning every morning...plus anytime she falls asleep, she wakes up quickly when a nightmare inevitably occurs.

Hope sighs, closing her eyes as she slides a hand to rest on Josie's waist, and she mumbles, "Are you okay, Jo? You've been acting...different."

Josie feels a pang of guilt. She's only been lying to Hope for a day, and the Tribrid has already sensed that something is wrong.

Josie smiles weakly at her wife, reaching up to cup her cheek, running her thumb across the smooth skin as she whispers, "Go back to sleep, baby. We'll talk in the morning."

Hope nods lazily before pulling Josie closer by her waist, and the brunette takes the hint, scooting closer until she's pressed against her.

She wraps her arms around Hope's body, grasping her shirt for security, and strong arms hold her close.

"Goodnight," She hears Hope whisper, before she feels a soft pair of lips against her forehead.

She closes her eyes at the tingling feeling she gets in her stomach.

But the warmth growing inside her is quickly replaced with guilt.

Hope is being pretty close to perfect recently, besides the sneaking out of bed every morning and the secrets about her past and her family and her healing.

But the way Hope's been taking care of Josie...That's perfect.

And Josie's not sure when she started feeling guilty for having her own secrets. She and Hope aren't really a couple. And Hope's allowed to have secrets, so why should Josie feel bad for having one of her own?

But she thinks about what Hope would think if she knew that Josie and Lizzie were planning to meet a drug dealer tomorrow without her there...She'd be pissed. She'd get all protective.

Josie sighs at the thought as she closes her eyes, resting her head against Hope's chest, "Goodnight."

—————————————

Josie wakes up abruptly to the sound of a door slamming and Peaches letting out a bark.

She sits up quickly, looking around in confusion.

The sun's shining through the windows of the bedroom. The spot beside her is empty.

Before she can move or think, the bedroom door swings open and Hope comes in, going directly to the closet and grabbing a shirt.

Her hair is damp and she's in her bikini top and trunks, so Josie knows she was down at the beach.

"What's going on?" She asks confused.

She can feel tension radiating from Hope, and the Tribrid scoffs, shaking her head.

She asks sarcastically, "Oh, sorry. Did I wake you?"