Part 26: "Talk to You Soon"

For the next two days, Raf and Hope train nonstop, with the other pilots helping them by posing as enemy aircrafts during back-to-back simulations.

Raf improves greatly, and Hope even beats her own record a time or two.

After getting dressed in her uniform, Hope makes her way to the hotspot room to call Josie, who answers right away.

It's very early morning where Hope is.

Where Josie is, the sun is beginning to set, and Josie is about to get out of her car for her important gig with the band, but she takes her time so she can have a minute to talk to her wife.

"What's happening with the demo?" Hope asks.

Josie grins, "I posted it, and I sent it to, like, a dozen small labels."

Hope smiles, "They're gonna love it, Jo."

Josie mirrors her smile, "Actually, this indie music site did a review on one of our last gigs that was just, like, insanely positive, and I guess this booker read it or something. And now.." She pauses for dramatic effect, "we have a slot at the Oceanside Alt-Fest!"

Hope's jaw drops, "What?!"

Josie nods, "Like, the Oceanside Alt-Fest! I'm about to head out there right now."

"Oh my god, that—that's crazy! You-you're really doing the damn thing, Jo." Hope says proudly.

Josie squeals giddily, "I know! It's insane."

Hope raises an eyebrow at her, "Wait, so does this mean I'm like your muse?"

Josie scoffs, "No..." She glances back to her screen, and the look Hope gives her causes her cheeks to tint a light pink and she caves, "Okay, maybe just a little."

Hope chuckles at her, "Good luck at the show, babe. Break a leg," she winks.

Josie just grins and shakes her head, "Thank you. I'll talk to you soon?"

Hope nods, "Of course, love."

What she didn't tell Josie, was that instead of their mission being tomorrow as it was planned to be, they have to go today. Circumstances changed, raw uranium is scheduled to arrive at the plant soon, so they have to act fast to avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation, and the war grows worse, so they need to destroy the bunker of weapons before it's too late.

She wanted to tell her, but Josie is so excited right now. And she has enough to worry about with her first performance for such a large audience being less than two hours away.

Josie smiles happily at her, "Be safe in your training. I'll try to call you when I finish up here."

Hope nods. She should be back on base by then. It'll be a few hours from now, "Sounds perfect. Bye babe."

"Bye Commando," Josie teases before hanging up the phone, happily making her way backstage to prepare with MG and the band.

And later, as she steps out on stage, she can only think about her wife, "This song is for all the brave men and women who are serving our country on the other side of the world, thank you."

And unbeknownst to Josie, her wife is on the the other side of the planet, approaching her F-18 with Raf at her side.

They hear the command, "All personnel, take your places for departure."

Hope and Raf stop between their aircrafts, suddenly their chests grow heavy, and Raf pulls Hope in, wrapping his arms tightly around her, "Hey...We can do this."