Part 3: "Leaving So Soon?"

Over the course of the night, Jed and a couple of the guys continue to make derogatory comments to Josie, much to the brunette's annoyance.

Not only that, but she also has to watch Maya continue to throw herself at the auburn haired girl, especially when she continues to add alcohol into the mix.

Hope doesn't seem bothered by her, but Josie thinks the girl would benefit from a little modesty and self-respect.

Eventually, the marines are finally getting ready to leave. Hope and Raf seem to be the only coherent ones among the group.

Josie hears Raf say something about paying the tab, and Hope assures him, heading over to the bar, "I got it."

Josie rolls her eyes, bracing herself for the unwanted interaction, sarcastically greeting the girl, "Leaving so soon?"

She leans against the bar, smirking slightly as she responds, just as sarcastic, "Sorry to disappoint. I know you enjoyed our company."

When Josie scoffs, shaking her head, Hope's smirk dissipates, "Look, I'm sorry again, about the guys. They can be dicks sometimes."

Josie meets the girl's gaze, seeing a sincerity in her blue orbs.

And that look almost breaks through Josie's tough resolve.

Before she can respond, Raf approaches the two, holding an arm securely around Maya's waist, "Good to see you again Josie."

She shoots him a smile, "You too, Raf."

He turns to Hope, "I'm gonna drive the guys home."

Hope nods, "Okay, can you take her to my car? I'll take her home."

Josie mutters under her breath, "Of course you will."

But due to vampiric abilities, Hope hears her.

Raf nods to Hope, not hearing Josie's comment, waving to MG before helping the girl out the door.

Hope turns her attention back to the bartender, who looks more than judgmental now, "What?"

"Nothing, it's just so typical."

Hope furrows her eyebrows in confusion,
"I'm not following...?"

"You know, power getting to your head, letting a drunk girl throw herself at you all night and offering to drive her home, which seems very chivalrous, but all you really want is a drunk, meaningless fuck, and then you'll toss her out the door in the morning, if you even stay with her that long."

Hope has to bite her tongue, wanting to argue, but she knows it would be pointless.

She shakes her head before asking,
"How much do I owe you?"

"Excuse me?"

"For the drinks. How much is the tab?"

Josie expected more push-back, but Hope doesn't feed into it. She doesn't address any of Josie's assumptions or biases.

Josie grabs her receipt with a rather large sum on it, handing it over to the girl.

She tries to ignore when their fingertips brush. It doesn't seem to faze Hope at all.

Hope pulls out cash to pay the tab, handing it over to Josie before muttering with an unreadable expression, her voice reaching a new softness, almost disheartening,
"Keep the change."

With that Hope walks away, heading towards MG, not even giving the bartender time to respond.

She watches as Hope hugs the boy, smiling warmly to him before saying goodbye and leaving the bar.

She looks back down to put the cash in the register.

Josie's eyebrows furrow when she notices the girl left a $100 tip.

She scoffs.

Typical.

Does she really think that throwing money around will make Josie feel any differently about her?

Hope's a marine and a supernatural being, and from what Josie can tell, she plays the part.

So entitled.
So self-absorbed.
So power-hungry.
So annoying.

Josie's just glad she doesn't have to deal with her anymore.

——————

Note: I hope you're all enjoying the story so far. Let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions/criticisms. Any and all feedback really helps make the story the best it can be.

Thanks for reading!