Ch. 1: Welcome, Little Dove

☽ ☽ ☽

Rhaenyra felt every tear, every nerve in her body seizing with agony

Rhaenyra felt every tear, every nerve in her body seizing with agony. She gripped Laenor's hand, swearing the bones all but bent under her grip. She wailed out into the night air, much to the midwives hushes and pleas for her to quiet down. Laenor pushed the sweaty hair from her forehead and kissed it, giving her sweet praises.

"Keep going Nyra! You are nearly there!"

"Dear husband, if you wish to keep your tongue you will be silent!" Laenor's jaw snapped shut, but in his head he continued to give his lady wife all the well wishes. The midwife tapped Rhaenyra's leg, signaling the end was near. Laenor helped the midwives push the Princess up into a squatting position as he held her back. She screamed out into the warm night air a final time before her cries were overwhelmed by that of relief. The midwives all shared a quick look before the babe was torn from its mother.

Rhaenyra turned to her husband in a panic, her pain forgotten as she reached out for her newborn. "What's wrong? Why did you take them? What is wrong with my child?" Her voice grew frantic and she watched the old nan rub the child's back over and over again, whispering a prayer under her breath. Laenor tried to comfort the frantic mother but Rhaenyra's eyes stayed glued to the bloody blanket.

The nan stopped her advances and just looked at the child....before smiling.

"Oh my, here I thought she wasn't breathing, but you Princess, have a quiet babe." Rhanerya's arms were already outstretched as the mid-wife approached her. She bundled the child up by her chest and stared down at the quiet newborn, smiling so wide her cheeks hurt. She looked up at Laenor and pulled back the blanket to expose a tuff of snow white hair.

"My goodness, she's perfect." Laenor cooed down at the little girl, running his finger over her cheek. "You did so well Nera. She's beautiful ." The midwives brought fresh sheets and grabbed the Princess by her elbows, hoisting her back up while the fresh infant was pressed taunt against her. "Let me take her." Rhaenerya looked back at her husband and frowned, she didn't want to give up her child but new the afterbirth would be much more difficult with an infant in her arms. She passed the child to Laenor, who careful cradled her in his hands.

She was so small, but her plump rosy cheeks stuck out from her white hair. Laenor stood to full height and held out his finger to the baby. Her tiny fingers wrapped around his index finger and gave a mighty squeeze. "You have a warriors grip! You might one day take up the blade." Rhanerya passed the afterbirth with little complications, but her body was tired. The midwives cleaned the Princess up with haste. They ran a warm cloth over her body and helped her to bed. Sunrise was still quite a few hours away.

Laenor followed his wife to bed but he was enthralled by the tiny being he held. Rhanerya took the child as Laenor laid beside her. The moonlight danced off of the babes skin and she opened her eyes. A soft purple, almost red hue filled her small eyes. Her pupils struggled to dilate in the dark night as she made out the faces of her parents.

"What are we do to Laenor? She wasn't supposed to be here for another 4 months. She's completely healthy, not a flaw to her." Rhaenerya swallowed the lump in her throat. Laenor stroked his wife's long hair. The Princess had announced her pregnancy only five months prior. Only a few weeks after her wedding to her husband. Whispers were rampant as to how she was already so round with child. Speculations had hounded the couple for months.

"Do not worry. We will keep her hidden, we shall say she is still very ill and small. Our only issue will be the Queen herself. She will be safe here in Dragonstone." A babe born so early would have a small chance of survival. Rhanerya kisses her child on the head and inhaled her scent. "Have you thought of a name?" Laenor intrigued. Names had been something that the two bounced off of each other for awhile. They could never settle on such a thing. They had mostly prepared for a boy. They had at least five names of strong conquerors and kings.

"Alaesys. Her name will be Alaesys." Rhaenerya spoke confidently. Alaesys was a Valyrian name. It made Laenor smile  down at the two of them.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful daughter. Alaesys, First of Her Name." Laenor walked to the window and closed the curtain, giving his wife rest from the bright moon. "I should write to Laena, she should know she has a niece." Rhanerya froze and cleared her throat. "I will include Daemon in the message don't worry."

"I don't know what you mean." Rhaenerya swung her legs over the side of the bed and Laenor rushed over to her with a sigh. "I can stand." Laenor ignored her words and helped her to the Woden crib his father had hand carved. Intricate designs of dragons and fish were etched in the wood. It was absolutely gorgeous in every way. Rhaenerya gently lowered her daughter into the crib and Laenor walked to the fireplace to fetch the folded blanket. He walked over to his wife and daughter, unwrapping the dark dragon egg.

"Syrax gifted you a fine present Alaesys." Law or tucked the egg against his daughter and smiled as the baby almost immediately curled against the warm stone.

The moonlight peaked through the closed curtain and shined a thin light into the infants eyes. Always locked eyes with the dragon egg and took chubby fingers to touch the rough scales of the egg.

Rhaenerya grabbed the arm of the rocking chair beside the crib and slowly lowered herself down, not taking her eyes off of her daughter. "You will be a wonderful Queen. I promise you everything my father could not give to me, Little Dove."