Chapter 49: Hospitality

"People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel

"People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. "

The wind and prickling rain felt fantastic against Alaesys cheeks. She felt complete again, riding upon Cesyja in the middle of a light storm. The she-dragon seemed just as happy to be flying with her rider, giving small yips of happiness as she glided through the sky.

Vhagar was not a lass to be outdone. She soared below Cesyja with a great roar. Even if she was old and with stiff bones her favorite place was the skies. Aemond smiled as he looked up to his wife who looked over the edge of her dragon and down to her husband. When their eyes connected it felt as if the world stopped revolving. It was just them, their dragons, and their children brewing in Alaesys womb.

Alaesys smiled and grabbed at Cesyja's reins, guiding her higher into the sky. Vhagar followed suit and Aemond bellowed out a loud laugh. "Where are you going, Little Dove?"

His questioned was muffled by the storm but Alaesys smiles back at her husband. "Catch me if you can!" Cesyja took the command to heart. The beast darted into the air above the clouds. Alaesys needed to catch her breath while Cesyja soared so high in the clouds that the storm itself was below them. Vhagar's shadow rose through the clouds and she bursted through them with wings outstretched.

Cesyja swerved to the side to make room for Vhagar. Aemond stretched forward and reached out his hand to his wife. Ally brought Cesyja as close to the other dragon as possible until their finger tips touched. Aemond worries that his wife could slip from her saddle and fall to her death but he had too tight a grip on her hand for her to go anywhere.

Neither husband or wife saw the hurdling figure of another dragon fast approaching. Vhagar easily spooked from the blue beast parting right between the two other dragons. Cesyja was far more irritated than her older counterpart. She feared to the side and Aemond was forced to drop Alaesys hand. He had to regain control over Vhagar. ""Dohaerās, Vhagar!"

Alaesys managed to calm Cesyja with gentle words and soft pats. The other dragon managed to squeeze itself between the others. On the back of the blue monster was a familiar white haired young man. Aemond scowled at his younger brother and shook his head, shouting from Vhagar. "Are you daft in the head, boy?"

Daeron smiles and winked at his older brother. "Perhaps you dropped me on my head as a babe!" Alaesys laughed and bowed her head towards the young prince. "Ah, sister! I am glad my brother's seed is potent." Alaesys jaw dropped and Aemond had to restrain himself from reaching over his own dragon and strangling Daeron.

Tessarion chirped a roar and bumped her snout against Cesyja. At first Cesyja was visibly irritated, baring her fangs at the younger dragon. After much persistence the white dragon snapped at Tessarion. Daeron smirked and waved his hand. "A race, Ally! I have heard your White Walker is quite the limber beast! I will race you to the Red Keep! Try to keep up!"

Tessarion nose-dived down onto the massive castle below. Alaesys grew up with brothers and she was not going to allow a young brat like Daeron to best her. She first looked to Aemond but it was obvious she was more than eager to race. Aemond softly nodded and motioned his head towards his brother. "Do not let him beat you."

Alaesys scrunched up her nose at her husband and leaned forward as much as her belly would allow. "Emi naejot pyghagon zirȳ, Cesyja!" We have to beat them. It had been far too long since she had raced anyone worthy of Cesyja's speed. Her young brothers could not keep up, even Caraxes struggled to keep up when she raced her father. Caraxes definitely had the battle smarts but her was nothing compared to Cesyja's speed.

Within five wingbeats Cesyja had already caught up to the other she-dragon. With one more she was in the lead. The Red keep was just within her grasp. Tessarion was not to be bested so easy. Daeron dug his heels back into her saddle and the blue dragon strained her neck out to fly at a greater speed. Cesyja purred, finally happy to have some sort of competition.

Alaesys braced herself against the cushion in front of her. She had to keep her babes in mind but something about a good race had her blood boiling. "Kosti pyghagon zirȳ!" They could beat them. Cesyja bared her massive fangs and gained her second wind. Her claws touched the ground seconds before Tessarion. She gave a howl of history and Alaesys was quick to pet her neck in congratulation.

Daeron grumbled underneath his breath while he lead his dragon up next to Alaesys. "I think you just got lucky."

"Luck has nothing to do with it, lad. It's all skill." Alaesys flipped her hair from her shoulder and Daeron moved from dragon back, moving to help Alaesys dismount. Vhagar landed a minute or two later. Aemond was quick to run to his wife and scoop her gently in his arms. He planted a kiss on her lips that took her breath away.

"That's my girl!" Aemond kissed his beautiful bride over and over again until Alaesys was giggling uncontrollably and Daeron cleared his fault. The young couple parted to see Otto and the Queen awaiting them with no smiles and an off putting aura. Alaesys immediately felt uncomfortable and backed from Aemond. Her husband stood in front of her, one hand resting on his sword. He used his body to shield her from prying eyes.

"Mother. Lord Otto." Aemond spoke plainly, not even referring to his grandsire as such. The older man chuckled and nodded towards his grandson. "I expected the King to be the one to greet us."

"King Viserys is very ill. Since you have been gone his condition grows worse." Otto put a hand on Daeron's shoulder. The young man gave a small smile. "It is good to have you back Daeron."

Alicent greeted her youngest child with a hug, speaking of how much she missed his presence. Aemond and Otto seemed to be locked in a state down. Many unspoken words and tension sparked between the two men. Alaesys grabbed Aemond's hand and led it to her belly. He instinctively curled his fingers against her flesh and his shoulders dropped with a low groan.

Cesyja lumbered over, her head looking over Alaesys. She sniffed at Otto from above and the man lifted his eyes in what could only be fear. Cesyja's lips curled back to show her teeth. Without warning she roared, a mighty sound that had Alicent pushing Daeron behind her for protection. Otto grabbed for the sword in his belt loop. It almost seemed like the old man's heart stopped.

"That beast should be in the Dragon Pit with the others!" Otto demanded. The guards that had accompanied the Queen took a weary step forward. Alaesys reached up and scratched Cesyja's neck and the she-dragon closed her mouth.

"Apologies, Cesyja has been on edge and overprotective since the second attack on my life. I am sure you have heard, my dear Hand." Alaesys stepped from around Aemond. With each step Alaesys took, approaching the Hand, Cesyja was not far behind. Alaesys had thought about the name the townsfolk had given her dragon.

White Walker.

Undead, ferocious, unstoppable.

It was every bit of what she felt at that moment. She expected to be feeble and meek in her pregnancy. But in that moment she felt like she could conquer the Longest Night on her own. She stopped a few inches from Otto, picked up her skirts and curtsied as best as she could. Cesyja dropped her head right beside of Alaesys, sighing when her mother stroked her head.

"Thank you both for your hospitality."