Ch. 6: Blood Runs Thick

"If we miss the opportunity and then roar, we miss out

"If we miss the opportunity and then roar, we miss out."

Cesyja gave a might screech as she soared over Vermax. She nearly dwarfed the poor dragon by a mile. Her outstretched wings casted a huge shadow and she seemed to glisten in the moonlight like that of a gem. Alaesys bellowed out a great laugh. Jacerys huffed in annoyance but was awes by how massive the young dragon was.

Luke watched his siblings from the boat with jealousy. He was too young to ride his own dragon but oh how he wished to be dancing in the night sky on dragon-back. Ally pulled at Cesyja's reigns. "Naejot!" Cesyja pulled her wings in and took a nose dove right in front of Vermax who seemed highly agitated by the female. He huffed and swerved through the air as though he was knocked off balance.

Cesyja pivoted down head first into the great waters. Alaesys hair had became undone and her wolf white locks flew behind her in a frenzy. She pulled up on the fringe just mere feet from a plunge. Cesyja's talons pushed into the water and splashed the side of the boat with water, a little bit splashing on Luke and a grumpy Laenor. Alaesys shouted a quick "sorry" and ascended into the sky once again.

This time she flew beside her brother. She opened her arms out wide and pretended she had wings. Slapping her arms wildly before pretending to glide just as Cesyja did. Rhanerya, who was busy drying Luke up, looked up at her daughter on dragon back and smiled. It was not very often that Ally allowed herself to be a child. To be so carefree and oblivious to her surroundings.

The most and clouds parted for just a second and Alaesys could see the great stone walls of Dragonstone. The black stones made the place look incredibly grim. If Cesyja flew high enough she could see The Stone Drum, the great pillar that sat in the middle of the castle.

Vermax swiped his wing across Cesyja's head and the dragon gave a hiss of distaste. Alaesys hushed her beat, running her hand over the dragons spine. Syrax caught up to the two younger dragons with two wing flaps and soared over the both of them. Like and Alaesys watched in awe at the dragon soaring inches above them. Syrax was smaller in size but still bigger than both of their dragons. She was a fearsome beast.

This would be their home until further notice, and Alaesys could already feel the coldness upon her.

~

The sea wind that whipped through the balcony doors was brutally cold. Alaesys shivered and slammed the doors closed, wrapping the blanket tighter around her shoulders for comfort. Her mother and father were to receive guests. The news of Lady Laena's death had crippled her father who did nothing but stare at the wall. He was in his room with Alaesys but did not look up from the ground.

"Father come on, you are shivering." Alaesys pulled up a chair next to her father and opened the blanket so it lay against both of their shoulders. Alaesys wrapped her arm around her father and felt his body begin to wrack with sobs. She said nothing but just held him as he laid his head on hers. "I've got you."

A knock on the door had Alaesys perked at attention. She took the blanket from her shoulders and wrapped it around Laenor. She kissed his head and went to answer the door. Her mother cleared her throat as Ally opened the door. She didn't try to peak her head in to check on her husband. Alaesys wasn't sure if that was to give him his privacy or if she thought she would worsen his state.

"Hello Dove, your uncle and cousins will be here soon. Let's go get you ready." Alaesys looked back at her father who only gave her the slightest nod. She was hesitant to leave. She ran back to her father and threw himself into a tight hug, promising him she'd be back soon.

A maid was already waiting in her moon when she arrived. The maid brushed through her hair to detangle it, spraying a fine mist on the top of her head that made Alaesys nose wrinkle. She tied a few braids in Alaesys hair but left the remainder down around her shoulders.

"Thank you." Ally mumbled as the maid finished up her hair. She was then slipped in a black dress that proofed out at the sleeves. A thick brown scarf and shawl was layered on top to fight the sea breeze.

Rhaenyra caught her attention in the mirror. She was much more nervous than usual. She couldn't even look her daughter in the eyes. She was picking at her nails which is something that surprised Ally. It was a habit she scolded the young girl for constantly. At least she knew where she got it from. The maids finished up preparing Alaesys and left the room. Rhaenyra smiled at her daughter and cupped her face sweetly.

"You look gorgeous. Does the dress fit alright?" Her mother pulled on ends of the dress to test its fit. Ally huffed and shifted under her mothers pestering.

"I'm fine Mother." Rhaenyra brushed down the scarf and tucked her hands in front of her.

"You haven't seen your uncle and cousins since you were small. Are you excited?" Alaesys shruggged her shoulders. She could faintly remember playing with her cousins in the mud many moons ago. As for her uncle she could barely remember anything about him. She knew he was tall, and had white hair of course. But otherwise all other memories fled her.

"Should I be excited?" Rhanerya huffed and went back to fixing the dress. It seemed she just wanted to keep her hands busy. Alaesys just sighed angrily and stared up at the ceiling.

"Of course you should be. Family is vital. You should comfort your cousins, they've just lost their mother." Alaesys brought her eyes back to her mother. Even though her mother might nag or they didn't see eye to eye, she loved her mother to death.

"You're right. I love you." Rhanerya stopped fidgeting and looked at her daughter. She cupped the back of her head and pulled her close for a hug.

"I love you Alaesys." Rhanerya petted down her daughters hair and took her hand. "Come, I think they've just arrived."

The landing overlooking the sea was just wide enough for the dragons to land. Alaesys could see the outline and roar of Caraxes. Alaesys stood next to her father for warmth, trying to keep him as warm as he always her. Luke and Jace were nearly leaning over the tower walls trying to catch a glimpse of the dragon.

Caraxes flew closer and closer until they could make out its mandibles and the sharp rows of teeth. Rhanerya and Ally grabbed the boys and pulled them away from the edge just as Caraxes landed, a smaller dragon landing right beside him. This one was young and chirped like a bird did for its mother. Alaesys put a hand over her eyes to block the sun, trying to make out the figures on dragon back.

A man and a young girl climbed down at first from Caraxes, then another girl from the smaller dragon. Alaesys recognized the girls as the twins. Rhaenerya almost ran into the man's arms and embraced him in a hug. "Uncle..."

Ally and the boys stood a little further behind to greet their cousins. Both girls looked almost miserable, a trait they shared with their uncle Laenor. Nobody had spoken a word but Alaesys took the initiative and wrapped her arms around both girls. "I'm so sorry."

It took a second, but Baela and Rhaena both hugged their older cousin. Luke and Jace joined in shortly and they combined into one great hug. Rhanerya whispered something quick into Daemon's ear. He seemed a little shocked at first glance but quickly gained his composure.

"Nephews. Niece." Daemon has a thin smile but his eyes locked onto Alaesys. She had grown a good bit since he had seen her. She was starting to gain the features of her mother, strong jaw and sharp nose. But those eyes and the way her mouth curved reminded him of someone else.

Laenor took a step forward and put his hand on Alaesys shoulder. The eye contact between Daemon and her father was fierce. The tension was growing and Rhanerya stepped in between the two men. "You've had a long travel uncle. Let's get the girls settled."

Laenor gritted his teeth. Daemon wore a shit-eating grin that just called for trouble.

I'm the middle stood Alaesys, oblivious to the connection she felt when she looked at her uncle. She could only feel her fathers fingers digging into her shoulder.