Ch. 11: A Deeper Wound

"Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them

"Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them."

Alaesys watched out of the window as the ships left the dock. Vhagar flew overhead, casting a huge shadow over every single vessel. She winced when the maester poked and prodded at her palm. Rhaenerya was kneeled before Luke, changing the cotton out of his nose.

"Must you be so rough with her?" Rhaenerya spat. The maester shook with nervousness and Ally gave him a smile.

"I'm fine, thank you. You should tend to my mother. She's soaked blood through her dress." Rhanerya gave her daughter that signature motherly look. The maester ushered the woman into a seat and got to work on her arm. Ally inspected Jace's face for any further wounds. She pulled Luke into her lap and cradled his head against her chest. The poor boy was still murmuring apologies into her skin.

The door to the room opened and Laenor came running in. His eyes were immediately glued to his children. He rushed over and inspected his sons with a quick look over, pulling Luke from Alaesys. He gently pulled her chin up and pulled the bandage away from her throat.

"I'll wring his neck." Laenor growled, cutting off the old bandage to replace it by himself. Rhaenerya looked to Luke and then back to Laenor.

"Aemond was not the one to maim her throat but he was the one who started this fight." Lucerys sniffles and Jace put his hand on his shoulder. Alaesys hissed between her clenched teeth as her father dabbed a balm on her fresh stitches.

"Easy, sweet girl." Laenor hushed her small whimpers. He wrapped a clean bandage around her neck slowly. "At least scars are badass." The boys giggled and Rhaenery scolded her husband. Laenor kissed Ally on the forehead and patted her leg.

"Alright children, you've had a long night. I'll take them to bed and come back." Laenor knew the amount of trouble he was in and decided putting these little monsters to bed was easier than facing his wife. Luke and Jace took their sisters arms and they walked towards their room.

Laenor tucked in both boys and within minutes they were passed out, softly snoring in the early morning. Alaesys struggled to get comfortable. Each little movement felt like it was lighting a hot fire on her injuries. Laenor propped as many pillows as he could find behind her head.

"I can have the Maester bring you something to soothe your pain." Laenor whispered, pulling the girls hair up off of her neck and back. He tied a messy knot on the top of her head and flicked it, making Alaesys laugh at his silly nature.

"It's alright father. I think I am just tired." Ally wriggled under the sheets. Laenor sat on the edge of her bed and stared at the wall for some time.