Chapter 46: Father's Daughter

"The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature

"The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature."

Alaesys turned the carved dragon over in her hands. The morning sun bathed on her and eased the pain she was feeling in her lower back. She gave a low groan of discomfort and shifted in her seat. Aemond came from behind her, resting a hand on her shoulder as he sat the tea before her.

"Is our little bird trying to stretch his wings again?" Aemond questioned. Alaesys squeezed her eyes and Aemond was by her side to help her up and out of the seat.

"It feels as if he will claw his way out of my stomach at any moment." Alaesys walked on wobbly legs, trying not to lean too much weight on her husband. "I wish to talk to my father."

"Perhaps you should rest instead. Something about your father stresses you out and that is not good for the health of our child. It would not be the first time he has brought misfortune on a child." Alaesys bit her tongue at her husbands backhanded comment.

"Friendly, Aemond. That's all I ask of you."

"My apologies, Dove." Alaesys was grateful for Aemond's assistance. Her stomach wobbled when she walked as she felt far too big for how long she was alone. Aemond had accidentally pointed this out to her and she had cried for an hour. Saying how her body would be so mangled afterwards that he would no longer want her. Aemond had kissed her so hard that she had lost breath and then made love to her.

His hands had roamed all over her body and he kissed every stretch and scar on her. He whispered how he would keep her full with his children until she saw how beautiful pregnancy looked on her. Alaesys blushed at the thought and shook her head to clear her mind of foggy thoughts.

Daemon was waiting by the war table, sipping his wine by the fire. The last time Alaesys had seen her father like this was before she left to marry Aemond. It gave her a warm feeling in her stomach, it was familiar. Daemon sat down his wine as Alaesys waddled closer. She held Aemond's lower arm as she shakily settled in her seat.

Daemon poured another glass of wine, "I don't mind if I do." Alaesys joked and reached for the glass. Daemon rolled his eyes and passed the wine to Aemond. The younger man just eyed the cup, looking back at Daemon.

"Let us celebrate you becoming a father. I assure you no battle or glory is more rewarding." Daemon forced a smile. Aemond took the glass and tilted the cup towards Daemon in thanks before taking a sip. "How are you feeling Ally?"

"I have a theory I am growing more than a single babe in here." Aemond stumbled and held the back of Alaesys chair for support. "Darling, are you alright?"

"Yes I am just...more than one?" Daemond laughed out loud and patted Aemond's shoulder as he passed. He filled another cup to the brim with wine and placed it beside Aemond's still full chalice. He pulled a chair around for his son-in-law, patting his shoulder and nearly dragging him back to take a seat. "Thank you."

"You will need more, do not worry. I have a hidden stash." Daemon finished his own glass and sat opposite of Alaesys. Ally turned and rubbed Aemond's arm, she grew concerned because the color had washed out of his face.

"Father, I know that you are ready to make waves sooner than Mother is willing to. Have you found any leads?" Alaesys rested her hands on her belly. Daemon reached over and placed his hand on her protruding stomach, smiling when he felt the slightest shift under her skin.

"Alester has said all he knows. Now we just have to gather more evidence." Alaesys rubbed her head in annoyance.

"I have been attacked twice, kidnapped, the life of my child in danger. The only way we can have more evidence is if Otto holds the knife to my throat himself." Alaesys was fuming now. Aemond placed a hand over her own, rubbing his thumb across her upper stomach to keep her calm.

"Dove, I know you are feeling betrayed and hurt, but we cannot rush into something that could possibly cause a war." It was not often that Daemon was the voice of reason. Seeing his children so close to danger had flipped a switch in his way of thinking. "Do you know why your nickname is Dove?"

"Something about how quiet I was as a babe? How I would not make much noise?" Daemon hummed in acknowledgement.

"Yes, but you also brought...peace to your mother. She had peace; knowing she had a healthy daughter that she could pass her wisdom and royal duties to. You are quiet and calculating. Not to mention this white hair." Daemon stroked a long strand of Alaesys hair.

"What if I do not want the Throne? My own children will be a constant target." Alaesys went stiff-lipped and tried to fight back the tears gathering in her eyes. "If you and Mother wish to put your children at such risk, that is on you. I will do no such thing." Daemon leaned forward, grabbing Alaesys face in his hands. Aemond put a hand on the hilt of his sword, standing from his chair so fast that it flew backwards and clattered to the floor.

"If you wish to keep both hands,  I suggest you remove them from my Lady Wife."Alaesys raised a hand to Aemond, giving him a sign that she was fine. Daemon rubbed his thumbs under her purple eyes and looked deep within them.

"If you do not take the Throne, your children will be exposed to much worse things than rumors. Things you cannot imagine. I have no doubt that Jacerys would make a fine King but you would be forfeiting everything your mother has fought for."  Daemon kissed Alaesys forehead, running his fingers through her hair as he pulled away.

Alaesys settled back in her seat and calmed her breath. "Make Alester an advisor."

"Have you lost your mind?" Daemon questioned through gritting teeth. Alaesys crossed her arms and shrugged her shoulders.

"I am the Princess. I get a say on who my advisors should be."

"Princess, you are not yet the Queen. You do not collect advisors like poppy flowers." Daemon chuckled. Alaesys leaned forward, hands on her knees so she was inches away from her father.

"Then make him your assistant."

"I would rather have Cesyja burn me like she did his brother."

"Then perhaps he should be my assistant."

"Qogralbar, sȳz." Fuck, fine.

Alaesys smiled and stood to kiss Daemon's cheek. With Laenor and with Daemon, she was a certified Daddy's Girl.

 With Laenor and with Daemon, she was a certified Daddy's Girl