Chapter 63: Those We Miss Most

"At any moment, you aren't far from my thoughts

"At any moment, you aren't far from my thoughts."

The feast following the tourney was grand. Familiar, rich faces crowded the halls of the castle. King Viserys could barely stay conscious but instead on the event for his great grandchildren and the winner of the tourney. Aemond and Alaesys took the head of the table, forcing tight smiles to those who came to greet them. Alaesys could not contain the anxiety in her gut.

Alaesys children were all present at the gathering, being held by her sisters and mother who held them tightly to their bodies. Alaesys so wanted to leave with her children in tow, fleeing to Dragonstone with her husband.

Alicent sat beside her husband, only lifting her head to speak when directly spoken to. Aemond leaned back in his seat, he rubbing his chin in thought. He stole glances to his wife who was dripping with anxiousness. Daemon could spot his daughter's uncomfortable stature from across the room.

He excused himself from a boring conversation with a noble and grabbed the back of his chair. Daemon drug the heavy chair across the hall floor. The shrill shrieking of the noise caused every conversation to come to a halt. Alaesys had to strategically cover her laughter with a sly hand.

Daemon drug the chair completely around the room to take his seat by his daughter. With wine in one hand, he reached over to give a comforting pat on Alaesys knee. Rhaenyra shot daggers at Daemon who simply chuckled and finished off his wine.

Alicent had chewed and picked the skin off around her nails. Aegon was visibly angered, sweat prickling above his brow as he stared at his niece and brother. Aemond adjusted his seating, his legs parting as he propped his chin on a stiff hand.

The music from the musicians did its best to overpower the awkward encounters all around. Daemon leaned over to Alaesys, "What troubles you child?" His whisper was barely loud enough for Alaesys to understand. Alaesys eyes darted to the Queen and then to Aegon. Daemon need not hear another word.

The celebration swept by like a rough snow storm. The day was drawing to a close and the sun began to set over the horizon. Alaesys was whispering with her father, gossiping about the regal women who looked more akin to birds than people. The princess stopped her words mid sentence when she saw Alicent holding her first born son.

Whether she liked it or not,Daemond inherited Aemond's face. Which means his nose curled the exact way Alicent's did. From afar, the young boy could've been mistaken for Alicent child. There was no malicious intent as Alicent swaddled the baby. In fact, her eyes sparkled with joy when a chubby hand grasped onto a strand of her long red hair. Alaesys stood from her seat, trying to seem uninterested in the woman. But she stalked like a wolf, slinking in and out of the small crowd.

Her eyes never left the Queen she bounced the babe on her knee like there was no care in the world. It was only mere seconds before Alaesys was on top of the Queen, hands and fingers almost pulling the babe from her arms. "I believe he is tired." Alicent's grip tightened on the blanket and Alaesys froze on the spot. The kind, caring glaze in Alicent's eyes turned ice cold.

"My grandson is perfectly fine. I believe you stirred him." When Alaesys looked down, the babe was in fact sour. His face contorted in a cry and her mothering heart ached. But the sadness turned to rage when she saw Alicent's sharp nails tangled in the blanket. Aegon, who had stayed quiet for the majority of the party, pushed back his seat and stood sharply. In the confusion, Alaesys managed to wrench her son from Alicent's hold.

Aegon took a swig of his wine and gave one finally sultry look to a passing maid. "Attention! Attention." He bellowed. The few eyes still in the room turned to Aegon. Alaesys swaddled her son to her chest and took a step back. Aegon had almost completely swore off wine, but here he was, stumbling over himself. Alaesys did not know this man, this drunk. Aegon glared at Alaesys, walking slowly towards the woman.

A hand grasped the back of his shirt and gave a tug. Aemond leaned down next to his brothers ear. "Perhaps it is your bedtime, dear brother."

Aegon shrugged off Aemond's hand and scoffed. He raised his wine cup, as if to toast. "To my brother! The rightful winner of the tourney!" His words were slurred and a slight confused applause began. Awgon turned his cup to Alaesys and winked. "And to his lovely wife, May she become less of her whore-mother and-" Aegon's hand motioned to the scar on Alaesys throat. The line had now turned a light white that was barely visible due to the chunky necklaces Alaesys sported. "-maybe cover up that battle wound more. Unless Aemond is into that."

A round of gasps echoed across the floor. Daemon had all but thrown his seat back, his cheeks got from anger. Before Aegon could take another sip of his drink, Aemond had grabbed his throat with stiff fingers and thrown him to the floor. Their queen mother could not stop the flurry of punches landing blow after after blow on Aegon's cheek. Alaesys was stunned, watching blood fly as her fingers reached up to touch the scar on her throat.

She thought she felt Rhaenyra's voice in her ear, and Lucerys guiding her by the arm as guards swarmed the brothers. She could only hear Aemond's cursing.

"Say it again!"

"Call my wife a whore again with your missing teeth!"

Alicent tried to claw Aemond off of the unconscious Aegon. Helaena was covering her ears and sobbing. Jacerys was comforting her with a firm hand on her back. The other guests watched in horror and awe. Guards had finally managed to pull Aemond from his older brother. Alaesys knew she should not look, but she could not help her gaze from lingering down to the blood on Aemond's knuckles.

It was dark and crimson. Alicent came to the aid of her older son, helping him up to lay his head in her lap. Bile and foam leaked from the corner of his mouth, but still he breathed. Aemond was panting from exertion as Daemon spoke to him in hushed whispers. Alaesys knew they were talking about her when both men locked eyes with her.

She did not know why or how, but her feet carried her to the bedroom. She had managed to gather her three babes in her arms with complaints from both Baela and Lucerys. It was hazardous but her heart raced faster than her mind.

She must protect her children.

She heard people calling for her. Her mother and father, and then Aemond.

Her sweet husband.

She blocked out all noises except for the loud closing of the doors. She kicked the door closed and began tucking in her babes into their cribs, hushing their cries as she tried to wipe her own tears. She felt overwhelmed. In a matter of seconds all of her babes were crying. Alaesys bushes grew louder but still, they cried. The princess backed away from the cribs slowly, bringing her hands to her ears.

Her knees were weak and she couldn't block out everything. Rushes of emotions overcame her and she realized just how small she felt.

Her father would've known what to do.

Not Daemon, no.

Laenor.

Her first father, the one who raised her without shame. Alaesys did not know why but she wished to be comforted by him. To have him hold her like when she was a child.

Her heart raced and her lungs felt like they were being squeezed for every last drop. She thought she might pass when strong arms encircled her shaking frame.

"Nyke'm kesīr, byka dove."

I'm here, little dove.