Chapter 50: Little Heartbeat

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself together than it does to fall apart

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself together than it does to fall apart."

The Princess' feet could now move fast enough. She so wished to see how Helaena had faired and if the children had learned any new motor functions. It had only been a handful of days but it felt like a never ending lifetime for Alaesys. The door to Helaena's room was cracked and Alaesys saw the opportunity to enter. Aemond followed quickly behind, smiling at his wife's enthusiasm.

Alaesys opened the door quickly and was greeted by chubby eating faces devouring some fresh milk. "Oh my little loves!" The twins lit up at the mere sound of Alaesys voice. She was quick to dart across the room and take both babies from their wet nurses. It was a bit of a struggle holding both babies but she had a solid feeling that she might be doing it soon enough on a daily basis.

Helaena was nowhere to be found. Alaesys turned to Aemond and smiled, approaching him with the gurgling babies. "Here, for practice." Aemond was hesitant at first, raising his hands in defense.

"I do not-"

"Come sweet husband. You train with a sword, you can train with children that are not ours." Aemond was still stumbling excuses when Alaesys passed Jaehaera to her uncle and Aemond immediately cradled the small babe to his chest. He looked absolutely terrified.

"She is so small." Aemond murmured. The babe fussed a little, shaking her head and making the smallest cooing noises. Aemond rocked her in his arms, trying to soothe the small thing.

"And she is a few months old. Our baby will be much smaller than this." Alaesys kissed the top of Jaehaerys head, laughing at the hair tickling her nose. "Where is Helaena?" Alaesys questioned the wet nurses. Before they had a chance to answer, the door to the room was pushed open and a drunken Aegon stumbled in. His hair was a mess and the circles under his eyes signaled he had not slept for quite a few days.

Alaesys felt her heart break at the sight of Aegon. When he saw his brother and niece, he seemed beyond surprised. "Ally?"

"You drunken fool! What is the matter with you?" Alaesys hissed between her clenched teeth. She held the babe tighter against her body and took in Aegon's disheveled appearance. The drunken man stumbled towards her but Aemond stool stance before his wife, his niece tucked into his arm for safety. He held a hand against Aegon's chest to stop him.

"That is close enough." Aemond ordered. Aegon grew angry and tried to shove his brothers hand off of him. Aemond tightened his jaw and stood strong. Aegon shoved his brother back and Alaesys had grew tired of their childish game.

"He is holding your daughter, Aegon! Would you put her in such danger?" Alaesys spat. Aegon stared down his brother for a few seconds before he averted his eyes back to Alaesys.

"We did not think you were coming back. Word traveled that the Princess had been wounded and lost her child." Aegon slurred his words and held a hand to his head, no doubt having a headache. Alaesys walked toward Aegon, pressing her hand against his cold cheek.

"I would never leave you all here. I would use my last breath to make sure my family was safe." Aegon flinched a little when Alaesys touched his cheek. He carefully relaxed into her touch and watched her carefully. "Where is the Princess?"

"Alaesys?" It was Helaena's sweet voice that broke apart Aegon and Alaesys. "The babe flies high." Helaena murmurs under her breath. She runs to Alaesys and meets her half way, engulfing her in a hug, squishing the baby between their bosoms. "Little heartbeat sings true."

"She has been mumbling that same shit for a week now." Aegon collapsed into a chair by the fireplace. Alaesys stroked Helaena's hair through her babbles, just nodding along while she spoke. Aegon listened and listened. Helaena always spoke in rambles and never made any sense to him. After hearing his wife's voice for a minute too long he stood up with ferocity, throwing his chair back. "Shut up!"

The three turned to Aegon and Alaesys quickly ordered the wet nurses to take the children. This angered Aegon further. "You will not take my children from me!"

Alaesys blocked the path to the wet nurses. They made a hasty retreat and Alaesys pushed Helaena behind her. "You need to sleep it off, Aegon. We will return when you have sobered up." Aegon paced back and forth, running his fingers through his hair.

"No, no, no, you don't get it! I am to be King! I cannot have silly little girls making orders for me!" Aegon's tone was raised and he was near screaming at this point. Aemond looked to Alaesys, waiting for his dear wife to give him a signal. She shook her head and looked back to her uncle.

"What nonsense has grandfather bashed into that tiny brain of yours, brother?" Aemond hissed. Aegon growled and balled his first. He turned swiftly, ready to bash his fist into Aemond's jaw. The younger brother caught his fist and squeezed so hard that Aegon's knees went weak. Helaena gasped and covered her ears, Alaesys held her wrist for comfort and glared at Aegon.

"Otto is manipulating you, and feeding you wine and whores to satiate your desires." Alaesys nodded to Helaena and took a few steps towards the crippling Aegon. She grabbed his face in both of her hands and forced him to look at her. "Look at me, Aegon." Aegon refused at first, looking over her shoulder and huffing angrily. "Aegon!"

"If I don't take the throne what else do I have? Everyone hates me anyways. Mother wishes I was never born. I have seen the way she looks at me. At all of us!" Aegon was screaming at the top of his lungs. Aemond released his brother and the older man fell to the floor. He crawled, hands and knees towards Helaena, picking up her skirts and burying his face in them to sob. Aemond walked to Alaesys, putting his arm around her waist and used his free hand to rub her stomach.

"My sympathy for you dwindles, Aegon." Alaesys words were harsh. When Aegon looked back up to her from his wife's gown, her heart softened. "Stand up. You are still a Prince, you are not a whimpering pup." Alaesys held out her hand for Aegon. He looked at her slender fingers and then to her face before taking her hand. "You are a dragon."

"He is acting more like a kitten mewling for mothers milk. Have you stopped drinking from the teat, Aegon?" Daeron questioned as he stepped into the room and removed his gloves. Aegon continued to hold Alaesys hand. He searched blindly for Helaena's hand. The young girl was hesitant to even touch him but her heart one. She entangled their fingers and allowed her husband the right to touch her. "Sister." Daeron kissed Helaena's cheek. She smiled for the first time in awhile and felt at ease.

"Have you fallen for grandsires pretty words?" Aemond grabbed Daeron's hand and his younger brother pulled him in for a tight hug.

"The old bastard sent me away for studies. The wine was sweet but the women were sweeter." Aemond rolled his eyes at his brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. "It is evident that grandsire wants his ass on the throne. He will use any means to do so. We cannot act quickly seeing as how your wife still has awhile until she brings your children into this world."

"For all the distaste that mother shows her own father, she is turning into the breasted version of him." Aegon muttered. Daeron whistled and sat his gloves on the table.

"I think she can be persuaded." Daeron turned to Alaesys and pointed at her. "Your father would be so proud of you." Those words made Alaesys heart sing. She touched Laenor's necklace that dangled from her neck. She grabbed the rusted and broken pieces and smiled.

Her father had truly raised a dragon.