Ch. 13: Split Decisions

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."

The screams of child birth were ever present in the halls of Dragonstone. Hushed whispers and demands of warm water soon followed. Rhaenerya was cloaked in sweat and blood. Alaesys was by her side every step of the way. She wiped the sweat from her face and held the cup of water for her mother to drink from.

Alaesys gave soft words of encouragement. The handmaidens rushed around the room like wild birds as they prepared to welcome another child into the world. "You have this mother, they will be beautiful. Maybe this one will look like me." Rhaenyra laughed through the labor breathing she was practicing. She locked eyes with her daughter and silently thanked her.

The handmaidens situated themselves and gave the command to push. Rhaenerya felt as though she might break Alaesys hand, like she had almost done all those years ago to Laenor. She saw so much of him in her that it made her sorrowful at times.

The handmaidens and Alaesys gave her encouragement over and over again. She silenced the room with a sharp scream and into the world came little Viserys. The infant had a strong set of lungs and the handmaidens were quick to disconnect him from his mother. They quickly cleaned the screaming babe while Alaesys helped her mother sit up in the bed. "Where is he?"

Rhaenerya scanned the room for her son as Alaesys brushed the hair from her mothers shoulders. "They are cleaning him, your Grace. He has the most beautiful white hair." Rhaenerya grabbed her hand again and kissed the back of it. Alaesys perked up when they brought the baby around. Rhaenyra grabbed the fussy baby and held him to her chest. She cooed and bounced him to try and soothe him.

"Viserys should be his name, after my father." Alaesys pulled the blanket down from around his little face and cooed at him. He seemed to already give her a tiny smile that warmed her heart. She adored her siblings and held a special bond with every single one of them.

"I will go get Daemon. I am sure he wants to see his new son." Alaesys stood from the bed and wipe her hands on her dress as she exited. Rhaenerya wanted to say something, to embrace her daughter, but it seemed their relationship was beyond that now. Alaesys did not hate her parents but she was not fond of them either.

Since her fathers passing she had grown closer to her siblings rather than her parents. Her younger brothers and sisters had never scorned her, they had never lied to her.

Alaesys found Daemon where he normally was, having a cup of wine by the fire pit. She cleared her throat to catch his attention and he sat his wine on table. "A boy."

"Ah, another? I think this family has had its fill of males." Daemon chuckled. Alaesys did not grin or crack a smile. Daemon poured a second glass of wine and held it out to his daughter. "Join me?"