Chapter 62: Love is a Horrid Word

"Holding anger is a poison

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside."

Alaesys felt her rage burn throughout her being. The scratched flesh of her knuckles seemed as she clenched her fist. Alicent lowered her eyes from her son to his wife. She gritted her teeth, not moving an inch.

Staring down two dragons was no easy feat.

A hushed whisper came from behind the tent flaps. "My lady, please." Alicent let her shoulders relax and took a deep breath. She locked eyes with her son once more before stepping to the side. Alaesys stood her ground for a moment longer, her chest tightening with anger again.

Aemond guided his wife by the shoulder. He did not give his mother a second glance. Alaesys pushed open the tent. Alester was facing away from the couple. Alaesys approached carefully, trying to gaze around the man to look upon his face.

"Alester, look at me." Her voice was strong and stern. The man simply shrugged off the order, until Alaesys raised her tone. "Alester I will not ask you again."

The man sighed shakily, slowly turning his head to the Princess

The man sighed shakily, slowly turning his head to the Princess. The sight made Alaesys stomach churn. Alester was a handsome man, that much was known. But his cheek has swollen, disfiguring his striking features. His left eye was swollen shut, tears leaking from the enlarged eye alone. His lips were dry, blood stuck to the corner. His curly brown hair was matted with blood and had been wrapped in coverings.

Alaesys covered her mouth in horror. She had done this. She had injured this man with her own two hands. Alaesys picked up the edge of her dress and ran towards the injured man. Aemond reached out to stop his wife but fell short of grasping her hand. Alaesys cupped Alester's face, apologizing when he winced in pain.

"You fucking idiot. Why did you do that? Why?" Alester could not bare to look the princess in the eye. He simply stared down at ground in front of Alaesys. The woman grabbed his face in her hands, forcing him to look up at her.

Alester's cheeks were streak with tears from both eyes now. Guilt. That's what the expression was.

"Please Princess, I had no choice." Alester pleaded. Aemond chuckled, a dark, sinister sound. Aemond reached across from his wife, grabbing the man by his bare throat to pull him to his feet. "Princess!"

"Aemond stop, stop it!" Alaesys hissed under head breath. Still, Aemond held the man's life dangling between his fingers. Aemond cocked his head, braided hairs falling down to frame his face.

"You nearly crushed my little girl." With each word, Aemond's fingers circled the man's neck even more. Alester's air was cut off to where he could no longer speak. Alaesys grabbed onto Aemond's arm, pleading with him to release the wounded male. "My wife gave you a second chance to redeem your cowardice ways. You've squandered it. Her dragon should have devoured you alive."

Aemond dropped the man to his feet again. Alaesys wanted to see the life drain from Alester's eyes. She wanted his blood to be spilled for ever harming her child. Yet she still had questions unanswered. If Aemond was going to play the hard jailer, she would play the innocent broad.

Alaesys sat next to Alester, rubbing his shoulder as he tried to catch his breath. "I am the only one that can save you, Alester." The dark haired man raised his eye to the Princess. "Please, tell me what happened."

"Alone. I want to tell you alone." Alesters whisper was pleading. He leaned close, close enough so Alaesys could feel his heated breath on her ear. Aemond scoffed and crossed his arms.

It would be a cold day in-

"Aemond leave us."

"Perhaps you are the one who has fallen off the saddle." Aemond snapped out. Alaesys narrowed her eyes at her husband, a warning and a plea. Aemond clenched his jaw but held his tongue. He bowed his head to his wife and then exited the tent. Once the Prince had left, Alesters own tongue fell loose.

He grasped at Alaesys hands, fear and sorrow in his swollen eyes. "Princess you and your family are in danger. People whisper in the Queens ear. Her father and Larys have a plan to rid you and your children of your claim." Alester's voice was low and had shifted tones almost entirely. "I apologize on behalf of your daughter but I needed it to look real."

Alaesys mouth fell agape. She did not know how to respond to such a thing. Alester raised his hands to her face, rubbing his finger tips across her cheek. "I could not risk the Prince hearing accusations about his own mother. But please Princess, I can only play the fool for so long..."

Alester locked eyes with the Princess, his lips quivering. Alaesys wanted to slap him, to choke him as her husband did but she stopped her assault. Alester looked to the tent opening before looking back at the Princess. "The Queen is conflicted. She came here to scold me herself. She is confused but weak to her fathers advances." Alester's hands were shaking. Alaesys was conflicted with everything that had been poured upon her.

"And what of you? Why should I believe you are not your brothers?" She knew the accusation struck a nerve deep within the dark haired man. Alester slid from his seat, kneeling before the Princess. She hardly looked down upon him, stiff lipped with no emotion behind her eyes. Alester grabbed her hands again and leaned forward, his forehead resting in her lap.

"Please, please my lady. Forgive me....fuckin' forgive me." Alesters body shook with what Alaesys thought was a sob. Blood from his wounds stained the front of her dress. "Princess...?"

Alaesys said nothing. She did not touch him. Her heart and head were numbed. The forgiveness and benefit of the doubt she had given to her new mother, to the great grandsire of her children.

Rage.

She felt nothing but a fire burning in her belly and her chest.

Alaesys stood and Alester slid from her lap. He crawled after her, clinging to her ankle. He pushed up the bottom of her skirts, pressing his lips to her leg kiss after kiss. "My lady, I would never betray you like that. Please, please!" His pleas were growing louder. Alaesys stared ahead to the exit of the tent. Alester kissed at her legs and the top of her feet, pleading for forgiveness.

"Why should I forgive you?" It was a simple question. Alester sat up from his groveling and hugged the Princess' legs like a lifeline, gazing up at the Princess.

"Because I love you, and I have come to love your children." The confession made Alaesys stomach churn. Love? How could he love a woman he had tried to murder? Alaesys scoffed and leaned down to Alester, cupping his aching cheeks.

"Do you love me? Or do you love your pathetic life?" Venom soaked Alaesys words. Alester's mouth was left agape as he stared up at the Targaryen woman in disbelief. His hands dropped from her body and Alaesys walked past the broken man. She stopped inches from opening the tent and looked over her shoulder. "My husband and father will decide your fate. And I am much kinder than either of them. Say your goodbyes to the cruel Queen and her father."

And with that, Alaesys left the tent and left the crying man to his own devices.