Ch. 19: My Protector

"Without the Protector, there is no Protection

"Without the Protector, there is no Protection."

Alaesys had left dinner without a word. She did not care if she seemed rude or possibly even undeserving of her title. She bursted into her quarters and slammed the door behind her. She felt her knees begin to buckle and she fell to the ground, clutching her chest and covering her mouth so that no one may hear her cry.

She has fought so hard to stay with her family. She had turned down countless proposals for her hand. Now it seemed the only way to save the ones she loved from further bloodshed, was to distance herself from them.

The lighting of the room was dark, almost too dark to see. There were only a few stray candles lit and the window to her room was open and the breeze was strong. She climbed to her feet slowly and wiped her eyes.

No.

She would not give them the satisfaction of seeing her so weak.

She pulled off the layers of her dress layer by layer. Her wardrobe had already been filled by the maids. She pulled out a long white nightgown and slipped it on. Her braids came out one at a time until she could easily pull a brush through her locks.

She saw a glimpse of a shadow out of the corner of her mirror and turned swiftly. She did not see anything when she turned but every hair on her body was standing on end. "Hello? Aemond is that you?" Her question seemed stupid when she looked at her door to see it still tightly closed.

The man from the corner had moved too fast. Alaesys caught his charge off guard when she brought her knee up into his groin. He doubled over in pain and his knife clattered to the ground. Alaesys pushed him off and tried to run for the door.

"Help! Somebody help me!" Before her hand could touch the door, the man grabbed her by the waist and threw her to the ground. Alaesys gasped for air, the wind completely knocked from her lungs. The cloaked man crawled above her, and sliced at her stomach with the dull end of the blade.

Alaesys's cry was blood curdling , she had felt every layer of her flesh being split open. She looked up at the man who held the dagger to her throat, her blood still decorating the blade. "I will not beg you for my life. You are a coward, and you will not leave this room alive." Alaesys voice was full of vice.

She recognized that hair.

"Henri?" The boys eyes went wide and he pulled down the thin mask over his mouth. He covered her mouth with his hand and leaned in close, his breath ghosting over her nose.

"You should have came with me, Princess." His eyes followed over her face and over her thinly veiled body. "Such a shame a pretty girl like you has to die." Alaesys growled and bit into the palm of his hand. Henris reeled back and pulled his hand from her mouth. Alaesys spit into his eyes, bringing her hands up to claw at his cheek.

His flesh gave way under her nails and he fell back off of the woman. Alaesys clutched her stomach, trying to stop her wound from bleeding.

Alaesys memory was cloudy at what happened next. A sword was pushed through the back of Henri's head and out of his mouth. Ally shrieked and hid her face into her knees. She heard the thump of Henri's body on the stone and she was pulled up by a strong arm.

"I have you. I have you darling. Move your hands, sweet girl." Alaesys could only see a hot fire behind her eyes but she knew that voice. Daemon tore the hole in her gown open further and used the spare cloth to soak up the blood. Alaesys clawed at his arm and dig her heels into the ground. "I know it hurts, Dove."

An army of Knight came charging into the room and stopped in their tracks at the scene. A young boy was massacred on the floor and the Princess was seriously injured. Daemon brought Alaesys head onto his shoulder and barked an order.

"You fucking sorry excuse for guards, get the Maesters. Now!" A few of the younger guards tripped over themselves trying to leave. One of the only ones to stay behind was Ser Criston Cole. He held his helmet under his arm and kneeled down before the two.

"Ser Daemon. Go tell the King what has taken place. Before rumors start to spread."

"Get the fuck out of my face, before you join your little Squire there." Daemon did not give the man the time of day. Coke looked at the body behind him. The corpse was mutilated but even then, he could tell that was no Squire.

"I do not know who that boy is but I swear to you, we will get justice." Alaesys eyes rolled to the back of her head and she could only lift and release her head a few inches. Daemon pushed her bangs from her face and cursed under his breath.

"Poison. She's been poisoned." Daemon looked down at the wound and winced. The cut was bubbling and oozing. Aemond and his mother came to the door and Aemond put out an arm for his mother to halt.

"What has happened?" Alicent tried to look into the doorway but a Knight assured her this was no scene for the Queen. Aemond stepped over the split head of the Squire and cursed himself for not being more Vigilant. He fell to his knees beside the Princess and took her cold hand.

"We need to cauterize the wound." Daemon pointed to the fire prong by the fireplace.

"We must wait for the Maesters-"

"We don't have time to fucking wait." Daemon hissed. Aemond was the one to grab the metal and shove it into the flame. Alaesys could only gurgle out half spoken words. Daemon's heart split in half at the image of his daughter writhing on the ground in pain. He pictured her bleeding from the eyes and choking on her own bile and nothing but rage consumed him. "Where were the guards that were supposed to keep watch at her door?"

"I do not know. Their shifts were not supposed to start until after dinner." Coke tore off his white cloak and used it as another cleaning cloth. Aemond pulled the red hot prong from the fire and carefully guided it to Alaesys. Her eyes were filled with fear and even though she was not able to speak, she looked at Aemond like he was a monster out of a fairytale book.

Daemon carefully turned her head up towards him and kept her head tightly between his hands. "Look at me, sweetling. Remember when you and your brothers made a bouquet of flowers for your mother? You made Jace pick every flower individually." Aemond lifted her dress just enough that it would not catch fire. Aemond took of his glove and put it between Ally's teeth so she did not bite through her own tongue.

He led the prong up against the wound and pressed forward. Alaesys's whole body was engulfed in pain. She thrashed about and Cole held down her legs so she did not injure herself. Aemond tried not to look but when he finally brought his gaze back to his betrothed, she was silent.

A single tear rolled down her cheek and her fingers were entangled around his ankle.