Chapter 17

"Don't you have a porch light or something?" I questioned, stuffing my hands into the pocket of my denim jeans. Toby looked up from his hands for a brief moment before shaking his head. I snorted while he continued to jitter the keys in his hand in the semi darkness which enveloped us. Finally after what seemed like years, Toby found the desired key out of the cluster. I was about to breathe a sigh of relief when the new problem that arose had me faltering. He was trying so desperately to jam the key into the lock.

"Your brother chose a wrong time to not be home," I observed, half amused. Toby snorted in response.

He swung the door open simultaneously flipping on the switch, and with that, he spun around on his heel to face me. "Oh really? That sounds like a good thing. That way, it's just you and me,"

I shrugged, smiling a bit as I shook my head at his teasing. I stepped in and sighed with relief. Admittedly, I was heavily exhausted because of tonight's events. I shrugged off my leather jacket placing it on the hook near the door. I easily slid off my shoes, leaving my socks on and followed Toby to the kitchen. Sitting on one of the chairs around the mini table closer to the stove, I heaved a long breath.

"I am so tired," I breathed, closing my eyes for a bit.

"Hmm,"Toby responded sounded closer than I estimated him to be. I re-opened my eyes to see him searching through the overhead cupboard close to where I sat.

"I'm making myself some coffee, want some?" He queried pausing a while with a brown mug in his hand.

"Yes please," I mumbled easing myself into a more comfortable position on the plush chair.

Minutes later, a brewing hot cup of coffee met my line of sight. Toby sat opposite of me as I mumbled my thank you. Once I took my first sip and momentarily reopened my eyes yet again, I was met with his piercing gaze. It was actually quite intimidating, and attractive at the same time as nothing but sheer silence graced us with its presence. Strange enough, at that moment I realized how insanely attractive he was. Not that I didn't think that before, but the look his face held as he stared at me was admittedly an evidently good look on him. His caramel hair was a bit tousled and the deep hazel of his eyes entranced me under their hypnotic trance. My gaze flitted all over his face and as I did so, I caught the slightest sign of a quirky smile gracing his amazingly pink lips. I realized there was a little scar right above the bridge of his nose along with several freckles which dusted the side of his cheek.

"So,'' I mumbled, feeling quite uncomfortable with the silence. Toby involuntarily licked his lips and it killed me inside.

"So," He echoed smiling a bit bringing the rim of his mug up to his lips while I did the same. "I hope I didn't make things too awkward with kissing you tonight," He continued after he realized that I was at a lack for words.

At the mention of this, my cheeks burnt a scarlet red and I hid my emotions by taking yet another sip of my coffee. Well, he sure knew how to get to the point.

"Awkward?"I said. "Nah, nothing like that," I justified. If I could cringe at how weak my voice sounded then and there I definitely would.