Part 12

Chapter 12

The sharp ringing of Isabella' s phone cracked the comfortable silence at the booth. I took a swig of my soda and sighed. From afar I saw Toby at the cash register, his eyebrows knitted together in concentration as he punched in the required numbers into the machine.

"Hey babe," Isabella called out after a while. I turned to her, raising my eyebrow.

"Yeah?"I queried.

She began shuffling in her wallet. Moments later she revealed a wad of bills.

"Lunch on me. Sorry, that was Avan. I got to go meet up with him." She threw me a regretful glance and I simply smiled and waved her off.

As always a cold feeling raced through my skin igniting every nerve at the mention of the name. Thankfully, it wasn't the Avan I had to be on the look out for. She even showed me a picture of him on her phone and it was a completely different person.

"Go on ahead,"I advised secretly glad that I could for once approach Toby without any questions and her knowing. I couldn't drag a new found friend into this.

She sprung up from her side of the booth and came over to embrace me in a tight hug. It was weird how much we sort of clicked.

"You have my number so call me anytime," She called out as she walked over to her bag, hoisting it on her shoulder before disappearing around the corner to the entrance door. I shoved the bills under napkin and hoisted myself from the seat.

I checked my watch to see it was a bit past three. I sat and waited on the stool for Toby to emerge anytime from the employee's room.

When he caught sight of me, he waved and walked up to me.

"Hey Jesse."

I smiled in response, swinging my leg over the other spinning the stool a bit for fun. "Hey."

He reached under the cabinet pulling out a rag before wiping the edge of the counter where a tiny bit of ketchup was spilled.

He looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. "What are you all smiley about today?"

I shrugged dramatically just for theatrical reasons. This caused him to pause and look up at me. Seconds later, he was laughing shaking his head.

"You're so weird I swear."He muttered.

I frowned. "Just trying to be happy..Since when was that a crime?"I mock glared at him.

He disposed off the rag somewhere and laughed. "You free now?"He randomly asked.

I took a long time to process his words so I asked ,"What?"

He stared into my eyes for a while before shaking his head. "My shift ends soon."

I mentally slapped myself for being so slow. "Oh." was all I said.

"I was thinking we could maybe head to my place or something so I can explain what I meant that night,"His tone didn't change but remained as easy going as ever.

"No problem, fine with me,"I replied. He began un tying his apron to reveal his Jean clad legs and button down plaid shirt.

"Come on,"He said grabbing my arm gently pulling me off the stool.

When we got to the parking lot and to his car, he quickly unlocked the doors. I jumped in closing the door and he did the same. I rolled down the window allowing my hair to blow in the wind and harress my face. But somehow I didn't care of my appearance so I just enjoyed the humid summer air.

"So, how far away you live?"I asked, turning to look at him.

He continued staring ahead, his eyes squinted to avoid the harsh impact the sun had. "About a two hour journey."