| nine

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

chapter nine:hold me, I'm falling apart

chapter nine:
hold me, I'm falling apart

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

SERENITY DIDN'T NECESSARILY want to leave the bat in the car.

However, she didn't think she would be allowed into the hospital while holding a bat with nails spiked into it, so she begrudgingly left it in the back of Nancy's car.

All of them entered the hospital, and Serenity felt a shiver go up her spine. She hated hospitals. Everything from the fluorescent lights, to the linoleum floors, to the smell, to the uncomfortable chairs. Not to mention, the last time she was here was after she had faced the Demogorgon and Will had been rescued from the Upside Down. Nancy led their group, trying to sneak past the receptionist, who was talking on the phone.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah!" the receptionist scolded, and all of them paused in their tracks. "Excuse me! Where do you think you're going?"

Nancy turned to her with a smile. "Oh, um . . . I was just going to visit my grandma again. And — and this . . ." She gestured to their entire group. "This is my family."

The receptionist gave a disbelieving look to Lucas.

"Extended," Lucas replied.

"I don't care who they are," the receptionist stated. "You know the rules. Two visitors at a time."

"Yeah, but—" Nancy began.

"Two!"

"Can you at least make it three, just for now?" Nancy looked right at Serenity. "I want you to come."

The receptionist sighed, apparently noticing Nancy's uneasiness. "Fine. But only this once."

"Renny?" Nancy asked softly.

"Uh, sure, yeah, I'll come," Serenity agreed. She then looked at the kids. "You guys gonna be okay?"

All of them nodded. Serenity gave them a tight smile before following after Nancy and Jonathan towards the elevator. She then grabbed Nancy's arm, allowing Jonathan to go a little ahead of her, and looked at her friend in concern.

"You okay?" Serenity questioned worryingly.

"Yeah," Nancy answered. "I just . . . you're really good at calming people down, and considering right now I'm freaking out, I thought Jonathan and I could use you."

"Does it provide you comfort that I'm also freaking out?"

Nancy sighed. "Yeah."

The three of them piled into the elevator, and Nancy pressed the button for them to go to floor four. Serenity leaned against the back wall, standing behind Nancy and Jonathan. Her eyes slid between the two. They weren't talking to each other at all, and the elevator's air was thick with tension. Maybe Nancy hadn't told Serenity everything — she wanted her there because something had happened with her boyfriend.