| epilogue

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

epilogue:serenity loses a mom, a friend,and two kids

epilogue:
serenity loses a mom, a friend,
and two kids

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

SEEING SUCH A familiar house be packed up in boxes and all empty gave Serenity a headache.

The summer had drawn to a close, the very same summer that Serenity thought was going to be the best one of her life, but actually turned out to be the worst. It was now October, and the warm air was gradually getting chillier as the leaves turned red.

Serenity always thought spring meant new beginnings. Now, it seemed that fall had taken that title.

After everything that had happened to her family, Joyce finally decided to get out of Hawkins. If Serenity was being honest, Joyce had probably thought about it for a while. After all, Will had been put through hell and back — literally — with being kidnapped to the Upside Down and coming back alive, only to be inhabited by the Mind Flayer. Hopper's death just seemed to be a final nail in the coffin.

They wouldn't be close, though. Joyce, Jonathan, Will, and Eleven were moving all the way to the other side of the country to California. The thought of it alone was enough to make Serenity's heart crush into a million tiny pieces. However, she knew they deserved it. All of them, especially Will, deserved a fresh start somewhere far away from the horror of a little town that was Hawkins.

As Serenity made her way through the house, packing miscellaneous things away, she sort of wished that Steve was there, too. It was entirely selfish of her to think that, considering Steve hadn't ever been close to the Byers family. Besides, he was with Robin at Family Video. Considering the mall had been burned down, aka being completely condemned due to it being a secret Russian base housing the dead Mind Flayer, they had lost their jobs at Scoops Ahoy.

(Upside, Steve didn't have to wear that silly costume anymore. Downside, no free ice cream. Also, Steve and Robin had gotten way closer. It seemed like the air shifted between them, which Serenity didn't question.)

She brushed past Nancy and Jonathan, who were carrying a mattress out to the U-Haul truck outside. Serenity peeked out from the kitchen, only to see Max and Lucas sitting in the living room. Dustin was directly across from them in the dining room.

"Turn around," Max and Lucas were singing, their voices getting louder as she walked back. After that whole duet between Dustin and Suzie during probably the worst time ever to be singing, none of them were letting him live it down. "Look at what you see. In her face, the mirror of your dreams. Rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds."