Chapter 16

~ Mark ~

I jumped out the window, falling 15 feet to the ground below. I land on my feet and watch the sea of people with mouths open. I quickly ran from the scene as the flames engulfed the building. All my books, I thought. All gone thanks to that little shit! I turn into an ally way and collapse onto the cold ground. Hot tears streamed down my face as my angry scowl shifted to a frown. I knew what I had done to Evie. I had crushed her. She thought she could trust me. Hell, I was probably the only one she could trust. But I ruined that for her, keeping this secret that wasn't even true.

"I am not Theodynis." I said firmly to the nothingness that surrounded me. "that is a lie." I rubbed my face vigorously and try to stand up from the ground. A sharp pain shot through my body and I fall face first into the ground. What's happening, I wondered. I looked at my hands. Blood spurts from the fingertips and I screamed. Long, jagged claws burst from the tips, each one covered in black blood.

"Ow!" I cried. Another shot of pain whizzed through my body. I turned to look at my back and see black and red feathers poke out like knifes on my back. They each grew longer and stretched upwards. I bit back another cry from the pain.

"Stop it!" I wheezed, clutching my stomach with my new claws. I felt the color drain from my face and an awkward tickling sensation in my stomach. Without thinking, I puked on the ground, bit of mush and food tumbling from my mouth. I could feel teeth shifting as I threw up and even saw a faint reflection of myself in a small puddle.

"Holy shit!" I gasped. "I have fucking fangs." I wiped my mouth with the back of my hands and glanced back at the puddle. My clothing has changed. The faded gray sweatshirt from before was now a red and black chest-plate that doubled as a long trench coat. My jeans were now black battle leggings and my cheap slacks were heavy combat boot. I smiled up at the sky. I remembered from the story. Theodynis looked nothing like me. The color of his armor was golden. Mine was red. I smirked and flapped my now developed wings. I was lifted off the ground as my wings carried me away