Chapter 3

~Mark~

I had finally convinced my boss to let me work from home. Never thought that insurance managers like myself weren't working from home. Oh well!

I had to sat home to look after Evie (I had shortened the name to Evie because it was a mouthful to say Evangeline all the time, at least to me, it was. Besides, she liked it).

I looked back at Evie for a moment. She was levitating some of my things I had lying around. It is annoying at times but I don't blame her. I couldn't have her go to school. (though I doubt that she need education), mainly for the fear that she would accidentally reveal her powers to the public. Lets just say that it wouldn't end well.

I turned away and tried to focus on the work I had to do with yet another client. Now, where the hell was my pencil?

"Evie do you know where my pencil went?" I asked her. She pointed upwards and I looked up. Hovering over my head was a blue mechanical pencil. It sopped floating and bounced off my head, landing on my lap. I turned to Evie and glared at her. She shrugged at me and

proceeded into lifting a book off the ground. Boy, she really was an angel to the devil.

As I began to jot down some notes in my journal. Evie screamed. There on the coffee table was a small ball of fire.

Oh shit.

I snatched a half filled bottle of water I had lying around an and doused the flame. Great, I thought, now I had a giant burnt mark on my nice, coffee table.

"What happened?" I demanded. She gave me no response, and continued to stare at the burnt coffee table in shock. Quickly, Evie snapped out of her trance and glanced up at me, her red, eyes wide and alert.

"All I did was try to levitate a book." She explained. "But then next thing I know, an orange flame shot out of my hand."

Now, it was my turn to widen my eyes. An angel controlling the fire element? Was that even possible? I shifted gaze from the burnt coffee table to Evie. Someone please tell me, what the fuck was happening?

"Come one." I said, snatching my coat as I walked to the door. Evie followed in silence. We walked to the apartment parking lot to my now fixed car.

" Where are we going?" Evie asked me. "Trust me." I replied. She nodded slowly and turned to look at the buildings and the trees, the small amount of trees that were in New York City. I pulled up to a parking space and slipped in two quarters into the parking meter. Evie and I ran across the street, dodging the oncoming cars, to an abandoned lot. No one has lived in the lot ever since I had moved here, 3 years ago. It would be a perfect place to test out Evie's power. It's so secretive, so hidden. I loved it.

"Evie," I said. "Can you try to recreate that flame?"

Evie shook her head. "I have no, fucking idea." she told me."All I did was think about a flames from a book I saw. Instantly, a small, orange, ball of fire appeared in the palm of her hands. I could tell that she was about to scream again so I, quickly covered he mouth.

"Just breathe," I instructed her. She inhaled and exhaled shallow breaths but slowed down after a while. I removed my hand from her mouth and stared at the glowing ball of fire. She extended her arm and the flames left her hands. It struck a pile of garbage and grew into a massive flame.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, flexing my hand. An ocean swirl of water blasted from my palm, dousing the monstrous flames. Evie stared at me in shock mouth wide open, red eyes, enlarged and alarmed. I knew I had fucked up. It wouldn't be long now till she found out.

A/N : Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thank you for getting me to 200 reads. I never knew that it would come so quickly. You guys are amazing and I think that you need to hear that. Love you all!

-Ari