Chapter 2

~Evangeline~

Why was I letting this man take me away. Why was I not questioning him? Why haven't I killed him when I had the chance?

We reached his home in minutes and he shoved me through the door. While he was shutting the door and locking it, I realized that if I wanted to be free, then it was either now or never.

I held out my hand and watched as he slammed hard against the the door. What joy! I guess my happiness didn't last forever, for somehow, this man broke free from my control. What the fuck? I step back in shock as he stormed towards me, nostrils flared and eyes narrowed. I had to act fast. I noticed a cutting knife, sitting on the counter inside a small kitchen. Perfect. I, slowly levitated the knife and guided it to me. It hovered next to me, a faint red glow surrounding the object. The man seemed unamused. No matter, I grinned triumphantly. I would just give him a little show. I hurled the knife at him, the point aimed at his heart. The man held out his hands and I watched in horror as the knife hovered in front of him, not stabbing him, not hurting him and, not killing him.

"Stop it, okay," He commanded me. I dropped my hands to my sides and the knife fell with a clang on the wood floor.

"How did you do that?" I asked him. He ignored me and turned away.

"Who are you?" I tried again, seeing if he would say something to me .

"Mark." He replied "And, that's all I'm gonna tell ya."

He flicked a switch and I watched as the lights revealed a modernized apartment with a sleek, narrow couch in front of a large, wide screen TV. I saw a door to the left of me. Bathroom, I guessed.

"So." Mark said, clasping his hands together, snapping me out of my gaze."What's your name?"

"Evangeline." I replied without thinking.

He mouthed my name silently, as if he had never heard of it before. Now, why would that be the case? I thought that my name was common in this world? He looked back at me, his cold eyes from before, slowly shifted into softer and calmer-looking ones.

"Evangeline," Mark said after a long moment of silence. "Did the devil sent you here?"

I nodded. But, in the back of my mind, thoughts raced. How did he know that? "If he did know, would that mean that he had known me too?

"Well, did he tell you why?" Mark continued.

I shook my head. "Lucifer never told me. All he said was 'When the clock strikes twelve' and then I was shoved into the portal."

Mark's eyes widened. I heard him say the word 'shit' a bunch of times.

"Listen," he said. "I know we just met and that we both know nothing about each other." Mark closed his eyes for a brief moment, I could tell that he was thinking about something intensively.

"Evangeline, I need to protect you. Bad shit happens around here in New York City."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Like, I never noticed." I retorted, rudely.

He ignored me and continued. "Angels like you have it way worse, believe me. I have seen angels die here."

I stare at him in shock.

"How?" I asked him.

"Never mind that. Just please, let me protect you, Evangeline"

I thought for a moment. I knew that it wouldn't be right to take an offering by a stranger because of the 'stranger danger' shit going around. However, then again I am a powerful entity while he is just a human. Or so I assumed?

I bowed my head, signifying that I would let him protect me. I would just keep in the back of my mind that if he ever double crosses me, he'd get his ass whooped. By me.