chapter one ~ siblings

*this takes place before Aemond loses his eye.*

Jaenys led her brothers down the hall. Their mother, Rhaenyra, had sent the three away as she was giving birth to their new brother. The kids had never questioned why they looked nothing like their father, Laenor Velaryon. Out loud, at least. Jaenys had her theories. She assumed they were bastards, although she never liked that term much.

"Do you guys want to go train?"

The boys nodded. "Yes!" Jaenys nodded. Jaenys trained with an axe, and a bow. Her brothers trained with a sword. As they arrived at the training ground, they spotted their uncles, Prince Aegon, and Prince Aemond. Jaenys was betrothed to Prince Aemond. She always thought it was odd, getting married to her uncle, but she never questioned it, knowing it was normal. She knew of her mother's affair with Daemon, who was her mother's uncle, so she assumed it was a similar thing. 

Jaenys stared at her options. Her bow, or her axe. She picked up her axe, deciding she could train with her bow later. Everyone in the vicinity gave her an odd look. Most didn't like that she was allowed to train with the boys. But, her mother thought it was good for her, and she agreed. 

Jacaerys came forth, to be her opponent first. "I wish to fight you first, sister."

Lucerys gasped. "I wanted to train with her first!"

"Now, boys, you will both get a chance. Jace, I shall train with you first," Jaenys smiled at her brothers. Aegon and Aemond had stopped their fighting to watch this. Jaenys's dress flowed as she readied herself. Jace came forward, but she easily blocked his strike. She swung the axe, lighting touching her brother's shoulder.

"That should've been an easy parry, brother." Jaenys teased. He rolled his eyes, and huffed. He swung his sword, each strike being blocked, and came with a follow-up strike. 

"How are you so good?" Jacaerys was out of breath after fighting his sister.

She brushed her brown curls out of her face. "Lots of practice. Luke, I believe it is your turn."

He looked scared. "I don't know if I want to fight you, sister."

She smiled. "That's alright." She turned, placing her axe back in its spot. She was leaving the training grounds, when someone ran to her side.

"That was impressive." It was Aemond.

She smiled. "Thank you, Uncle." Aemond and Jaenys were close in age. Aemond was only two years older than her.

"So, how are you?" Aemond looked at his betrothed. 

She thought for a moment. "I am rather well. And, yourself?"

Before he could answer, a knight came up to them. "Princess Jaenys, your mother has requested your presence."

She nodded. "I will be there. See you later, Uncle." He smiled at her.

~~~~~~~~

"Princess Jaenys Velaryon, first of her name." The knight announced to Rhaenyra.

"Hello, Mother." Jaenys smiled.

She smiled back. "Your brother is here. Meet Joffrey."

"Oh, isn't he lovely? May I hold him?" Jaenys took a seat beside her. She nodded. Jaenys cooed the baby, and he smiled at his sister.

"You're such a good sister, Jaenys. I'm so proud of you." Rhaenyra smiled at her daughter. Rhaenyra had always had a soft spot for her daughter. Maybe it was because she was a girl, and maybe it was because she was a badass. Or, perhaps both.

"Thank you, Mother. But, you must be tired. Why don't you go rest? I can look after Joffrey for the time being." Jaenys offered.

Rhaenyra took her daughter's suggestion into consideration. "You're right... thank you, Jae." She slowly got up, and went towards the bed.

Jaenys smiled at her younger brother. "I just know you will be a strong fighter. I can see it. I will train you to be a strong fighter, once you're old enough, of course." Joffrey smiled at his sister. Jaenys leaned down to kiss his forehead. 

Laenor burst in. "Rhaenyra- oh... where's Rhaenyra?"

"Resting. Was there something the matter?" Jaenys looked at her father.

"Um... Alicent has requested to see the new baby." 

Jaenys nodded. "I can take him to her, if you wish."

Laenor agreed. "Sure, that's fine. I'll go with you." And, so, they set off to locate Alicent.