chapter thirteen ~ peace offering

Otto Hightower's impending arrival was announced. Rhaenyra scoffed when she heard the news. Both Daemon and Rhaenyra had requested that Jaenys come with them.

"We would like you to come with us, to represent our family." Rhaenyra had smiled at her daughter.

"Yes... we would, Jaenys." Daemon had agreed.

"Of course, My Queen. My King." Jaenys bowed to her mother and step-father.

And, this brought us to now. Jaenys stood next to the king consort. Facing Alicent's father.

"Prince Daemon, Princess Jaenys. Lovely to see you once more." Otto addressed them with a cold smile.

Jaenys glared, stepping forth. "I believe you mean 'King'."

Just then, a dragon's roar was heard. It was Rhaenyra, flying above on Syrax. Once she landed, she got off, taking her place next to her daughter and husband. Her crown still sat on her head.

"Otto," Rhaenyra had a cold look in her violet eyes. "Why have you come."

"To let you know that Aegon has been crowned king of the Seven Kingdoms, and Alicent has brought a peace offering." 

Jaenys's eyes were full of fire. "My mother is the queen. She will be a far better ruler than some... drunk cunt, visiting brothals everyday damn day. He is no king. Queen Rhaenyra and King Daemon shall be the righteous queen and king, and I will stand by that until I die." Jaenys's voice dripped with venom. Her mother, step-father, and Otto stared at her. 

Daemon tried to hide his smirk, and Rhaenyra's eyes were full of pride.

"Well, then. Alicent has offered this, as a form of peace. And... a warning. To not come near her family." She held out a piece of paper. Rhaenyra's eyes widened upon seeing the paper. It was from a book Rhaenyra and Alicent used to read, at least that was what Jaenys's mother had told her.

"I won't go near them, unless they go near mine."

~~~~~~~~

A maid was in the bathroom, holding Jaenys's hair back as the vomited.

"Princess..." the maid spoke softly. "I may be completely wrong... but, I feel you may be pregnant."

She lifted her head, staring at the maid with wide eyes. "Pregnant?"

She nodded. "These are very common symptoms."

After Jaenys finished throwing up, she penned a letter to Aemond.

My Dearest Aemond,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. 

I miss you so much. I have some... news for you. I was talking to one of the maids, and she believes I may be with child. Your child. I wish to meet with you. Soon, preferably. This is a short letter, as I am still in shock, and would believe you to be, too, once you read this.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Jaenys 

She sent the letter off, feeling her stomach through her silk nightgown. She pulled on her robe, and went into the halls, heading to her mother's chambers. Entrance was granted, and she went inside.

"Mother, I am terribly sorry to disturb you at such a late hour, but there is something important."

She gestured for Jaenys to sit. "Sit down, my sweet. What is it?"

"Um... well, I believe I may be with child..." Jaenys's voice cracked.

"Oh my... that is lovely news. I promise I will be with you every step of the way." She pulled her daughter in for a hug.

Jaenys shed a few tears. "I'm scared... I do not want to end up like the late queen..."

"I promise it is rare for that to happen... I had six, or seven, I suppose, and I'm still here. You will have your family with you every step of the way."

She smiled. "My thanks, Mother. I shall return to my chambers. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, my daughter."