chapter ten ~ you'll be okay

After breakfast, Jaenys walked to Lucerys's chambers.

She knocked, and opened the door, after receiving permission from her brother. He was sitting on the bed, head down, rubbing his hands together nervously.

"Hey... you alright?" She sat down beside him, placing her gentle hand on his to stop him from fidgeting.

He looked at her, with eyes that welled a little. "Jaenys... what if they win, and I truly am not the heir to Driftmark?"

It broke her heart seeing her brother this way. She hugged him, and he allowed the tears to fall into her soft cape. "I promise you that our mother, Jacaerys, Daemon, and I won't let that happen. Because we all know that you are the true heir. Queen Alicent and our aunt and uncles may not believe, and Ser Vaemond definitely doesn't, but you have lots of people who will be there to defend you. You'll be okay, I promise." Jaenys hugged him tighter.

"I love you..." Lucerys clung tighter to his sister, crying harder.

"I love you, too..." She soothingly rubbed his back, wishing she could take his pain away.

~~~~~~~~

Everyone gazed behind, hearing the doors open. There stood King Viserys, ill, yet standing.

"Father..." Rhaenyra's eyes welled, and Jaenys placed a hand on her forearm. Viserys slowly made his way to the throne. His crown fell, and Daemon quickly went to pick it up, and place it on his brother's head.

"We are here today to determine whether or not Lucerys Velaryon is the true heir of Driftmark." Viserys's voice was weak.

"My King..." Vaemond stepped forward. "Having him rule Driftmark would be a disgrace to my house! It breaks tradition. To install your daughter's son as heir... don't you dare tell me who should inherit the name Velaryon. That is no true Velaryon. And, certainly no nephew of mine.

"Go to your chambers, you have said enough." Rhaenyra panicked.

Viserys sighed. "Lucerys is my true-born grandson. And you, no more than the second son of Driftmark."

"You may run your house as you see fit. But, you will not decide the future of mine! And, gods be damned, I will not see it ended by the rule of this..." Vaemond stopped.

"Say it..." Daemon whispered. Everyone was staring at him with anticipation.

Vaemond smirked, malice in his eyes as he stared down each of Rhaenyra's children. "Her children... are bastards!! And, she... is a whore." He was referring to their mother. Everyone gasped. Rage contorted on Jaenys's face, but she had no weapons on her at this time. 

Viserys stood, and drew his dagger. "I... will have your tongue for that!"

Too late. Daemon had sliced his head off. Everyone gasped. Jaenys smirked in satisfaction, and she made eye contact with Aemond, whose eye gleamed with admiration.

"He can keep his tongue." Daemon stood by, staring at the corpse of Ser Vaemond.

"Disarm him!" The guards drew their swords, pointing them at Daemon. Eventually, Viserys had to be taken to his chambers.

~~~~~~~~

"You were very brave." Jaenys was taking a late night walk with her brothers.

Jacaerys nodded. "Indeed you were. And, you were proven the righteous heir of Driftmark."

Lucerys blushed. "Thank you..."

Jaenys sighed. "I wanted to be the one to take his head... No one speaks of my family like that."

"It's okay, Jaenys," Jacaerys placed his hand on her shoulder. "It's all in the past. Now, you have your wedding to look forward to!"

Jaenys stayed quiet.

"Are you not excited?" Lucerys frowned.

She shook her head. "It's not that... I just know that we've had our differences, and I don't want it interfering with our future. And, I really don't like the way he treats you guys."

"We'll always be here if you need to talk about it," Jacaerys smiled. "You could have it worse, you could have to marry Aegon."

"He's right. You'll be okay, Jaenys." Lucerys hugged his sister. They all laughed.

"You are the best brothers I could ask for."